What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. slackii vs. D. venusta

Perhaps this is a silly question, but are there any major differences between Drosera slackii and D. venusta?  They almost look identical to me (an untrained amateur), except for the fact that California Carnivores charges $15.00 for the former and $8.00 for the latter.  

Furthermore, are either of these two species visibly that different from D. aliciae?  In other words, if I were to have a pot of D. slackii or D. venusta next to my D. aliciae, could you be able to tell they were different species, or would your eyes skim over them just thinking they were two pots of D. aliciae?

Thanks,
Corey

Drosera slackii can be from 2 to 4 inches across. Deep Crimson in colour, leaf blades almost circular with broad petioles. Flowers are deep pinkish violet

Drosera venust<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling to Drosera venusta]</span> also 2 to 4 inches across, long oval-sahped leaves and golden green in colur, and bright red tentacles, flowers are pink. Got these descriptions from the SG

i dont have D. slackii but i do have D. venusta and D. aliciae. there is a noticible difference between the later two. D. venusta grows more upright for me much like what you see with D. capensis and has fewer but longer petioles. a few pots over, my D. aliciae grows flat against the ground and has numourous short petioles. so they do look different but i think they are fairly closely related and it shows. IIRC D. slackii loks different from D. aliciae but not as different as D. venusta. if you want something alot different but still in easy to grow in similar conditions go with one of the D. madagascariensis locales or D. regia 'Big Easy'. these two look quite a bit different from D. slackii, D. aliciae and D. venusta. there are quite a few growers on here with several D. madigascariensis locales(i think the Botswana form is the most common). offer up something in the trade forum and you should have an offer in short order. i recently planted seeds from mine so i may have seedlings in 6-8 weeks or so.

Oh, wow!  I just looked up some photos of Drosera madagascariensis and I think that is exactly the type of sundew I am looking for.  I will try to obtain it via trading, although I currently have no CPs to offer, only a few non-CPs.

what a coincidence
i got both of those today! I still haven't memorized their appearances, and i'm too lazy to go outside and check, so you'll have to wait until morning.

Hi,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ispahan @ Mar. 26 2005,5:33)]Furthermore, are either of these two species visibly that different from D. aliciae? In other words, if I were to have a pot of D. slackii or D. venusta next to my D. aliciae, could you be able to tell they were different species, or would your eyes skim over them just thinking they were two pots of D. aliciae?

I think i would be able to tell which one is which. A characteristic of Drosera are its stipules (the hairs in the centre of the plant). This makes it easy to regocnize Drosera slackii. The leaf is quite different from D. aliciae and D. venusta as well. Not all Forms of Drosera venusta show this upright growth of the leaves. D. venusta is different from D. aliciae in it's leafs and flowers. The lamina of D. venusta is a bit more round than in D. aliciae. The petals also have a different shape. The styles are similar in both plants. I hope it helped at least a bit. For pictures of plants i'm growing please take a look on the following links:

http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/aliciae1.htm

http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/slackii1.htm

http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/venusta1.htm

regards,
Christian

Great photos, Christian.  They were very helpful.  I really like the coloration and growth habit of Drosera venusta, so I may add it to my collection one day.  

Thanks,
Corey

Christian,
I concur, outstanding digital imaging work. I aspire to emulate your photographic work with CP and hope to compile a site such as yours someday.

Back