What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do sundews eat?

just out of curiosity... For VFTs, when the insects get inside the trap, the trap closes and uses its digestive liquid to feed off of the insects.. how do Sundews do it? I understand insects get stuck onto the sundews but what happens next? Do the leaves of the sundews curl up ?

Basically, a hapless critter touches the sticky surface and can't get free. Some sundews have their leaves react to the struggle and curl over the vicitm. Enzymes break down what the plant needs, leaving and exoskeleton.

hehe ok gotcha thanks.

lol that's basically the summary without the long-disgusting version about how the insect suffocates and dies a slow death while slowly being digested alive...mother nature is too demented
smile_m_32.gif

Yes some sundew leaves do curl up - like D.capensis. Reaction times can be different, I think D.burmannii is one of the fastest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]mother nature is too demented

I could be mother nature.

ok gotcha, so just some sundews curl up...

The last and most important part of the process and the one that truely defines plant carnivory is the absorbtion of the nutrients. In Drosera (sundews), the same glands that exude the digestive fluids also absorb the products of that digestion. It is a true carnivorous plant vs Byblis or Drosophyllum. Members of these genera lack this ability and must rely on symbiotic life forms to make the nutrients available to the plant.

Tamlin nice to hear from ya.

jlui83, How are the plants doing? They all adjust alright?

Hey Justin

Plants are GREAT. Im thinking of putting them into a windowsill type pot instead of the Aquarium Tank just because I can use the water tray..(more convinient) not sure if i will though. Im still thinking about it.

Great just wondering. The windowsill pot sounds like a good idea.

I tray water my D. adelae, N. ventricosa and P. primuliflora, and they're all in a tank.

Back