What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just noticed today a thicker, burgundy red leaf(?) stalk(?) emanating from the center, with what looks looks like a cluster of flower buds, as opposed to the usual curled up leaves. Anybody else having the same?

Ya, mine's done the same, it started about a week ago. All the other stalks with the dew started wilting (which could be because of the flowering, or because I moved it outside, I'm not sure). Well, now I'm waiting for the flowers to start opening. I'm pretty sure Drosera binata does not self-pollinate, am I right? It would be pretty cool if did.

Jim,

D binata flower stalks are easy to identify early, they unroll backwards from typical leaves. A leaf unrolls from the bottom up and flower stalks unroll off the top.

Most D. binata forms are not self fertile, so unless you have another to cross it with dont hold high hopes for seeds. Clipping the flower is an option, but not necessary.

Cheers
Steve

Usually, it seems, what isn't necessarily efficient for propogation in one capacity, has other ways of doing so. D. spatulata does fine vegetatively. P. primuliflora does well by plantlets. Pigmy dews have their gemmae. D. binata and filiformis are great as cuttings. And we all know how prolific D. capensis is!

My Drosera binata has been blooming for a couple of weeks now.  I wonder if pollen will remain viable after being sent in the mail.  If anyone is interested, let me know if you want to try cross pollinating through the mail.

Now there's an option! does the cross pollination need to be from another flowering plant or would there be another flower within the cluster, say a day later, work? Is it worthwhile to do the toothpick / paint brush thing?

Cross pollination would need to be from a different clone. Crossing with a seperate plant, but same clone, will have the same effect as selfing. Its worth a shot. If you have access to pollen, Id go ahead and take the chance. Got nothing to lose by trying.

i was told the vast majority of D. binata clones are not self fertile but the few that are, are about as bad as D. capensis. mine is flowering too Jim. ive let it send up 2 stalks so i can see if its a self fertile clone. yesterday i saw 2 more stalks coming up but they are going to get cut off. i hope to get one of the other D. binata complex so i can just cross the two "cultivars" and not worry about finding a different D. binata form clone.

I just counted seven (already ripped off) flower stalks from my D.binata multifida f. extrema(s). Tried to self pollinate them over and over again but doesn't work. I suggest cutting it off unless you've got some pollen from a different variety. Or you could self it, some D.binatas are self fertile. What variety is yours?

Should have seen this topic before I took the scissors to the flower stalk...

Jason, I have just plain old D. binata. no dragons or multifidas or dichotomas - just plain D. binata - but very healthy.

Back