What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last summer I was given a leaf cutting. It formed a hibernaculum and in January, the plant clumped and there were tw new plants. I am noticing a white, fuzzy growth from the center of both plants. I don't think it is mold. It reminds me of stipules I have seen on D. scorpiodes, but I don't know if this plant froms the same appendage. It kinda looks like spit, to be graphic. What is this? Sorry, no pics available.

Hmm, I don't have a filiformis, but this thing you talk about reminds me of a picture of a hibernaculum in Slack's book Carnivorous Plants of North America and Canada with these characteristics you talk about.  I remember the caption saying something about it looking like it could be rotting, however when it is touched it feels firm. The picture looks like there is some webbing over the hibernaculum.

hibernacula have hair.

if you want, you can spray a fungicide just for the heck of it.

Thanks Bob! It is foamlike, but I can't imagine it coming from a a spittle bug. It has been indoors since mid-November and was a black mass of hibernaculum for two months. The plant itself is doing incredibly well and when I get my recent pics resized I will post a pic. Is it possible that it is a protection?

Jim,

My plants form those same white hairy things like stipules from D. scorpioides. It should be just fine. Keep an eye on it, and I bet within a day or 2, you see a new leaf unrolling from the center of the white hairs.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve!

mine has the hairs too. i think they are from the plant forming a hibernaculum or something. i know its not fungus and its not from a bug.

Maybe it has something to do with flowering? Yesterday, I observed that eac of the two clumped plants is at the beginning stages of sending up flower stalks. As VFT Guy in SJ stated, they unfurl differently than a leaf.

Back