What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis question

Hay Hellz here,
i am always looking at peoples D. Capensis, cuz it is one of my fav dews, and they always seem sooooo huge
how to yal grow em to get that big?
also, they were 2 types of D. Capensis ive never heard about,
D. capensis rubra
D. capensis "Giant form"
i have traded for the latter, and am awaiting its arrival, but the D. Capensis rubra is an enigma to me
how come ive never heard of these forms of D. Capensis?
and does the type of D. Capensis affect its size? (ex: does the alba form grow naturaly smaller than, lets say, typical form?)
thanks in advanced
Hellz

I have a stem forming variety and a red variety. The red has always been much larger than the stem former.

Oh look! 666 posts! I'll stop posting for a while, lol.

LOl tuna, the dreaded 666. How many varieties are there
smile_k_ani_32.gif
? Wow

Couldn't be Drosera capensis alba since that is not a valid name. It could be Drosera 'Albino' which is a registered cultivar derived from Drosera capensis.

Drosera capensis is a species that can be quite variable, as are many other species, and just as with other species, these variations are sometimes not given much attention by taxonomists. We horticulturists don't need to wait for taxonomists to notice variation in our favorite plants, we have the privilege and opportunity to register these variations of note as cultivars. Just a few have already been registered from the species, Drosera capensis. See: CP Database

Drosera 'Albino' and Drosera 'Narrow Leaf' are the only two currently found in the CP Database.

Hay, Hellz here,
o, i get it, like there are alot of cultivars of VFT, same goes for the D. Capensis, and im guessing most other plants?
now thats leaves the question...
how do you guys get your D. Capensis so big?
smile_n_32.gif

Hellz

good light, really good light. genetics ofcourse play some part but the best looking and largest plants i have seen are full sun or have a really good artificial light source

Hay, Hellz here,
ok guys, thanks for your help
biggrin.gif

ill be sure to experiment and c if a full days sun will make a monster outa my D. Capensis
smile_n_32.gif

Hellz

Back