What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum lusitanicum growers, question

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Now that spring is here, I have been thinking of placing my Drosophyllum lusitanicum outside. Over the winter it has gotten a little leggy. It would really appreciate having the sun beat down on it all day, which is what it will get in the location I place it. The thing that worries me is that it sometimes rains here in SE PA quite a bit, or unexpectitly with thunder storms. The location would not be sheltered from the rains, and I do not want to have to watch the weather every day to see if I have to bring the plant inside.
I was wondering if others grow this plant outside with frequent rains and the results of this happening, since this plant likes it on the dry side?

Hey Elgecko -

Last year I grew mine outside spring summer and fall and it did well. It was from seed I got from Vertigo. I'm in Connecticut so our weather is not too different from yours. It's in a 'Cascade Style' 12 inch deep clay bonsai pot.

If I saw it was to rain for days, then I would bring it in.

This is from last October's NECPS Show, bottom rack second from the right:

20041009-CP-show-Drosophyllum-SchloatPic.jpg

20041009-NECPS-show-standout%20plants.jpg

Mine kicked the bucket after some blustery winds bent the main stem. I think it was the 25mph ones that knocked mine over. I left the stem hoping it some plants would come up from the roots or stem, but another windy day blew the entire thing away. Lesson learned!

Michelle,
Does that mean you do not grow a Drosophyllum lusitanicum anymore?
You were kind enough to send me a few seeds, if mine ever flowers and I get seed, I will send some back to you if you need any.

Back