What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think you all lie

Everyone says that D. capensis is a weed. I have never been able to get a single seed to germinate (aliciae either). I don't know if I just keep getting old seed or it gets crushed in the mail - but I don't have problems with other types of seed. That's not my question though, if capensis is such a weed is there an environmental factor that limits its spreading or is the area where it grows basically a carpet of plants all crowding each other? Thanks for any information anyone can offer. Stan

Maybe it has something to do with Florida? I don't mean that to be sarcastic? Let me explain: People in Singapore have expressed their difficulty in cultivating D. capensis. Singapore is hot and humid. So is Florida. Is correlation causality?

That may be a problem. Oh great, my greenhouse is always hot and humid. I hope that isn't the problem with my D. capensis seeds. I have seen them popping up everywhere recently though, so that may not be the trouble.

could very well be the humidity but hopefully some other Florida growers will chime in. if yah need fresh seed i have a couple flower stalks that are in the process of ripening now

I live in florida and currently I have one D.capensis "albino<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. capensis 'Albino']</span> and two very very small D. spatulata or D. spatulata "kansai", still too young to tell, but I think it's the latter. The seeds took almost a month to sprout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ April 09 2005,5:24)]That's not my question though, if capensis is such a weed is there an environmental factor that limits its spreading or is the area where it grows basically a carpet of plants all crowding each other?
I find that many sundews can easily become weeds. I've let Drosera filiformis filiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis ]</span> go to seed in my bog and had to pull many of the plants because they were choking out other plants. I've had similar experiences with D. rotundifolia, D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera sessilifolia]</span> & D. natalensis. I suspect that competition from grasses and other plants keeps them in check in their native environment.

The last 2 years, I've given massive amounts of Drosera filiformis filiformis seed to the ICPS seedbank (& this yr D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera sessilifolia]</span>).
All the best,
Ron

Hay, Hellz here,
lol i have some of that D. Filiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis, the second part of species names (specific epithet) is never capitalized.</span> Seed stratifying in my fridge right now!!!
smile_n_32.gif

i hope they are as vigorous as you have described them ^^
Hellz

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 09 2005,5:58)]Maybe it has something to do with Florida? I don't mean that to be sarcastic? Let me explain: People in Singapore have expressed their difficulty in cultivating D. capensis. Singapore is hot and humid. So is Florida. Is correlation causality?
The problem with having D. capensis germinate may be the air quality/type, if anything else. D. capensis is a very hardy "weed" by nature, and will supposedly grow in almost any climate...but not singapore's unfortunetely. It is possibly something is the air, which is about the only reason I can think of.

Aliciae<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera aliciae, species names are a combination of the genus (in this case, Drosera) and the (specific epithet, never capitalized). Only together are they the species name.]</span> cannot grow in singapore as well. They sprout, but then konk out afterward. So is it with D. capensis. This is getting scary...what are the weather conditions in Florida?

Jason

Well, if you can picture living in a shower 24/7 and turning on the shower nearly every afternoon, with the doors and windows closed....
smile_m_32.gif

I live in South Florida and D. capensis does seed itself very readily down here but nothing...and I mean nothing compares to Burmannii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera burmanni]</span> when it comes to multiplying. Not even my aphids have stopped them.

the same with me i have got them to grow but when the fall comes and they come in the humidity is usually to low for them to keep dew.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ April 10 2005,8:27)]I live in South Florida and D. capensis does seed itself very readily down here but nothing...and I mean nothing compares to Burmannii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera burmanni]</span> when it comes to multiplying. Not even my aphids have stopped them.
Maybe you will have to introduce more of the aphids to control the burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera burmanni]</span>...
smile_m_32.gif

Jimscott: Yeah, I get the idea. Sorta like singapore, only that singapore you plus will get struck by lightning if you are the tallest and walking back to your house in the rain...
smile_n_32.gif
Extreme.

In LForida it needs to be in a terrarium
smile.gif
I am trying some outside now though

D. capensis doesnt mind low humidity. mine are growing fine in low humidity. light has alot to do with dew production. if you bring them inside out of full sun there is nothing you can do to match the light but you should be able to acclimate them to flourecents or a south window

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jimscott: Yeah, I get the idea. Sorta like singapore, only that singapore you plus will get struck by lightning if you are the tallest and walking back to your house in the rain...
smile_n_32.gif
Extreme.
Cindy has made reference to the difficulty of growing D. capensis.

The rain doesn't help sarracenia pollen production either. My oreo dropped petals before it ever dropped pollen, and it didn't drop one speck of pollen. Too bad. Was looking forward to pollinating that one.

today I looked at the humidity outside where my 'dews are and it was 20 percent... no problem, the 'dews were all dewey and happy. Then again, everything grows good in southern Calif.
smile_n_32.gif

Back