What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filiformis var. tracyi

What is the difference between Filiformis tracyii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: "Filiformis" is not a CP genus name. I believe the species referred to here is, Drosera filiformis var. tracyi]</span> and Filiformis filiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: "Filiformis" is not a CP genus name. I believe the species referred to here is, Drosera filiformis]</span>? I have seen pics of them but do not know what the main difference between them is.

On page 138 of Savage Garden, Mr. D'Amato states that ssp. tracyi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. tracyi]</span> is similar to ssp. filiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. filiformis]</span>, except that the tentacles are green and the leaves reach 20" in length. Furthermore, the cross between the two subspecies produces the California Sunset cultivar, if I am reading this correctly. Below is a picture of the cultivar:

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Some taxonomists list these as Drosera filiformis with subspecies "filiformis" and "tracyi"; others as "filiformis" with a variety "tracyi"]</span>

D.%20filiformis%20(California%20Sunset).jpg

WOW! Wish I had one now.

Oh, I'm sure a leaf cutting can be spared...
smile.gif

Should spare yer poor cat, Jim.

Okay, I'll shoot a PM to my friendly hacker and keeper of my avatar.It's time.
smile_n_32.gif

From my observation, the easiest way to tell the difference is that "vanilla" D. filiformis has fairly obviously red dew-hairs (sorry for getting all technical) and D. filiforims var.tracyi(FIXED-sorry Pinguiculaman)<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Actually written: Drosera filiformis var. tracyi]</span> has whitish-clear hairs, so the dew makes them look really bright when light hits them, almost like trees after an icestorm...

This is from observing small specimens of both side-by-side, I don't doubt that the full sized versions will show more discrepancies

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 20 2005,1:31)]On page 138 of Savage Garden, Mr. D'Amato states that ssp. tracyi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. tracyi]</span> is similar to ssp. filiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera filiformis subsp. filiformis]</span>, except that the tentacles are green and the leaves reach 20" in length. Furthermore, the cross between the two subspecies produces the California Sunset cultivar, if I am reading this correctly. Below is a picture of the cultivar:

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Some taxonomists list these as Drosera filiformis with subspecies "filiformis" and "tracyi"; others as "filiformis" with a variety "tracyi"]</span>

D.%20filiformis%20(California%20Sunset).jpg
Though the cross between Drosera filiformis and Drosera filiformis var. tracyi could frequently produce the cultivar Drosera 'California Sunset'. It cannot be assumed that this hybrid is this cultivar. There are forms, such as a red pigment free and white flowered form of Drosera filiformis that could be expected to produce a hybrid form dissimilar from Drosera 'California Sunset'. In any case to be considered the cultivar, the plants would need to conform to the cultivar description and standard photograph.

Well I assume the person on this thread originally does no grow one or either. simplified: (without the florida D. filiformis ssp. filiformis)
D. filiformis ssp. filiformis is shorter, has red glands and thinner leaves.
D. filiformis ssp. tracyi is the opposite but the glands can be either clear or light orange dpending on the plant you have or location even though most locations have both.

Back