What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Peter describes dew leaf cutting in SG on pg 166:
"Snip off the leaves at their petioles." what exactly is the petiole?
"Long leaves, such as ...foked sundews, can be cut into segments about 2 inches long." Does leaves refer to the part that has tentacles, the long "stem", or both?

Petiole is the term used to describe the "stem", which holds the leaf (the trap).

It should be white at the endpoint.

petiole is the part without the trap. you can cut the leaf off with some or most of that. The plantlets will actually come from the base of a tentacle.

the petiole is the non-carnivorous, trapless part of the leaf, best snipped off at the best of the petiole, with some white stuff at the base if possible, as Jimscott says, but not neccessary for dews like D.binata.

When he says the "trap" part he is refering to the part which contains the tentacles.Cut that part into 2" segments, and ditch the rest of the petiole. I think the petiole only helps with other kinds of dews (eg. D.intermidia), VFTs, because in D.binata you can't really divide the trap with a bit of petiole each.
smile.gif

I put a D. binata leaf in a capped 50 ml centrifuge tube a few weeks ago. To my surprise and amazement, yesterday, I counted 15-20 points of new growth; that is, new plants. It's like having a D. filiformis.

Don'c confuse Dionaea (VFT) leaf pullings wiht Drosera leaf cuttings. (The plantlets sprout form different places).

I have a D. nidiformis leaf that has been floating in a container of distilled water for a couple of weeks. It is producing at least one plantlet off the lamina. Very easy. A number of plants will do this so...perhaps try an experiment. Try a leaf pull or cutting in soil...and one in water. See which produces most easily.

It is usually easier to get basal tissue (the whiter stem at the base of a leaf) if you pull it off instead of cutting it off. Just be careful and do it gently.

Hmm I find D. nidifomis hard to make cuttings of. Maybe it's jsut my plant.

If you haven't tried them in pure water, give it a shot. Seems to work quite well with some drosera.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I put a D. binata leaf in a capped 50 ml centrifuge tube a few weeks ago. To my surprise and amazement, yesterday, I counted 15-20 points of new growth; that is, new plants. It's like having a D. filiformis.
Jim,
Curious about some of the details:
- was there water in the tube?
- lighting intensity & duration?
- temps (approx)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have a D. nidiformis leaf that has been floating in a container of distilled water for a couple of weeks. It is producing at least one plantlet off the lamina.
PAK,
- temps (approx)?

Thanks folks for any details you can provide. I regularly propagate all of my plants (sometimes too much). Usually I place them in live sphagnum in an east window in one of those little plastic sandwich clamshells. Based on various posts (going back to at least 2002), it seems a lot of people have had success with distilled H2O - so I'm trying that with some plants. Some people use just window light, some use incandescent, some use fluorescent, some for 24/7.... What works for you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ April 29 2005,7:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I put a D. binata leaf in a capped 50 ml centrifuge tube a few weeks ago. To my surprise and amazement, yesterday, I counted 15-20 points of new growth; that is, new plants. It's like having a D. filiformis.
Jim,
Curious about some of the details:
- was there water in the tube?
- temps (approx)?
Hi Ron,

I tried several leaves in separate 50 ml capped centrifuge tubes, filled to 90 % capacity with deionized water.

The total failures were: C. follicularis, VFT, P. "Sethos". In complete contrast, the D. binata & filiformis were astonishing successes. I simply placed at a SW - facing window sill. No other chemicals were used.

I now have another experimental set up with a shallow tray with sand & peat, topdressed with (currently) dried LFS. I also have the live to use. It is at a SE window and loosely covered with saran wrap. It is partial filled with DI water, but not saturated. I am certainly open to suggestions. I have leaves of two varieties of Mexican pings, several VFT's, D. filiformis, and C. follicularis.

Should I substitute the live LFS and/or keep uncovered? Should I have at the SW sill?

I had success with a C. follicularis leaf when I had it in a baggie, partially embedded in the media, sealed, and at the SW sill.

Back