What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera not producing muculage

I have a D. aliciae and a few D. dielsiana that are in my terrarium.  The temp is about 75º and about 80% - 85% relative humidity.  There is lots of light over the terrarium.  The problem is that the these sundews are producing little to no muculage on their glands.  The leaves are turning a bit brown at the end and the new growth that is coming out, turns brown at the ends before the new leaves ever fully form.  Each 3" pot is sitting in about 3/4" of water.  Do I have it in a place that is too warm for it?  Is the humidity too high?  Is there something else that I am missing?  I have some D. capensis and D. burmannii in the same terrarium and they are doing just fine.  If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers

The African species can be tempermental, often dying back when conditions are not just to their liking.  Cool nights seem to benefit these species.  After reading your cultivation methods, this possibility suggests itself.  I assume you are using good substrate and pure water.  Everything sounds pretty much in order.  I have not found that this species needs so high a humidity, and my plants always do best outside, or directly beneath  flourescents with no intervening glass or plastic to cut back the light.  Are your plants well colored?  Good coloration is the proof of adequate lighting.  Also, light tubes must be changed every 8 months or so to remain effective, although they may still produce light after that time, the usable spectrum for the plants falls off.  Light is the single most important factor contributing to good Drosera health and dew.  The good news is, if the plants die back, they will almost certainly return.  The resting stage is typical of plants growing in seasonally harsh conditions, and the S. Af. species are real survivors.  If your plants don't recover, just let them sit in slightly drier conditions until new growth begins again.

Excellent. I will try changing the bulbs as they are about a year old now. I think I will move them to one of my cooler terrariums then if they seem to prefer less humidity. I will experiment as I have used a standard substrate of 50/50 peat/sand and only ever use RO or distilled water.

Did you recently transplant them? I had D. aliciae shipped to me recently and I transplanted it right away. At first the plant stopped producing dew, but now it's just fine. I also set the plants on a taller pot so they are about 6" or so from the light. The color has gone from pale green to red, and growth is much better.

Brian

I've had too high of humidity turn the tips of D. capensis black and also turn the flower buds black.

Back