What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. sessilifolia

Here's the latest addition to my Drosera collection. Grew them from seed a few months ago.

sessilifolia.jpg

-Homer

COOL! Does its tentacles move fast like Drosera burmannii. It will be #1 on my growlist if it's tentacles move fast like Drosera burmannii.

As usual, nice plant and pic!

Homer,
They look very nice.
Were they the seed I sent you? I also dropped a few seeds into a pot which started to germinate a short time ago.

Yes the tentacles move fast just like in D.burmannii, its close relative.

Good growing,
Fernando Rivadavia

Now I know I gotta get this plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Were they the seed I sent you?

Yep. Germination rate very high on those seeds. Thanks again. I'm waiting to see how red they get... they've been coloring up nicely under the growlights now that their plastic "germination" chamber lid has been removed a few weeks back.

-Homer

I can't wait until mine grow that big.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ April 30 2005,7:46)]Yes the tentacles move fast just like in D.burmannii, its close relative.
What are the differences between D. sessilifolia & D. burmanni?

I've been growing D. sessilifolia (from ICPS seed) for a few years but after looking at the photos in Bob's CP photo finder, it looks like D. sessilifolia has slightly more rounded traps...

D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. sessilifolia]</span> is native to South America and burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. burmannii]</span> Australia. you wouuld have to ask someone who has grown both but I can say that D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. sessilifolia]</span> has a higher germination rate and higher rate of survival (100% for both so far ulike D. burmannii 0%)

From what I understand, D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. sessilifolia]</span> is a smaller plant than D. burmannii. Tre, my limited experience is that D. burmannii germinates like D. capensis, if ya know what I mean. Twice I have had high germination rates. In contrast, D. sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: D. sessilifolia]</span> seeds was 0 %. But that was my experience and limited at that.

Basicaly, D.sessilifolia has more rounded leaves, usually erect scapes, and pinkish flowers, while D.burmannii has more cuneate leaves, usually white flowers and ascending scapes.

See ya,
Fernando Rivadavia

How fast do the tentacles of Drosera burmannii actually move?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ May 24 2005,3:13)]How fast do the tentacles of Drosera burmannii actually move?
Not sure how one would answer that question. I doubt too many people have measured it for a cm/sec speed or anything...

When a plant has snared/captured/detected prey in the center of a trap, the outermost tentacles move at a very observable speed toward the center of the trap and the prey. These outermost tentacles are very long in relation to trap/plant size and are impressive with their motion.

Most other Drosera that move seem to do so at a more glacial pace - you go away for a bit and come back and you can notice that the plant has moved

So with this particular plant, if you were to sit and watch it, you'd actually see movement in the tentacles? I know with my sundews, the whole process is relatively slow and takes from about 15 minutes to an hour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...if you were to sit and watch it, you'd actually see movement in the tentacles?

Yup.

Hahaha, now THAT'S cool! I'd like to grow this plant someday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hahaha, now THAT'S cool! I'd like to grow this plant someday.
The plant is a prolific seeder (although the seeds are really tiny) so they are often available from the ICPS seedbank or in trades here in the the forums. (as well as similar plant D. sessilifolia).

If I remember well, the outer tentacles of D.burmannii and D.sessilifolia will close as fast as 2-3 seconds when correctly stimulated (or simply when in the right mood for it!).

But there is one species that is yet faster! It's D.glanduligera, which is actually very similar to the previous 2. This species will fold its outer tentacles in fractions of a second, like a VFT!!! It's really cool to see!

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

How cool! Are these plants hard to grow? Are they best grown in terrariums or outdoors? Now I'm intrigued!

Back