What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maehem @ May 05 2005,6:45)]I love tangents...
I prefer oranges to tangents
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 05 2005,8:39)] You are talking to people in other dementions that you may or maynot be able to see. Everything is inter-related
Tre, was 'dementions' spelled as a pun on dementia or just a typo?

ARGH! It's back! <sigh> Now I know it's airborne... and apparantly will grow everywhere that the fungicide didn't touch directly <sigh>.

Any other suggestions? Aside from a hermaticly sealed envirnment..

After trying to feed my capensis chichlid food, I got this bristley white mold all over my soil, but I dusted with cinnamon, and it dissapeared lickety-split. Smelled nice too!

"Dementions"!!!! Yes, yes, yes, it is too good. I am stealing it!

Rates right up there with my own coined word "E-brained". Anyone who's done Ebay will know the definition.

To return to the topic, I have found that mold forming on seeds is a fair indication of dead seed to begin with. Seed has natural antiseptic and antifungal defense and mold will rarely form on viable seed. Also note that D. capensis does not require high humidity for it's successful germination, so increasing the air circulation might be an option.

I have a question also about mold that acts weird.When I put my plants in my terrarium with no air circulation and near 85% humidity, I NEVER see a speck of mold, but, a few days after I take them out of the terrarium, this white fuzzy stuff suddenly appears. What could be causing this odd phenomenon and how do I get rid of the white fuzzy stuff?

I would guess that it was brewing under the humid / lack of air circulation conditions and you can probably just pick it out with a pair tweezer, if it is large enough.

I had my plants in the terrarium for over 5 months with no activity. Then, all of a sudden when I take them out the mold makes almost all of the substrate look all white.

Well, not all molds live entirely on the surface of their substrate, dewy. Many times, the mold observed in pots is just the spore-bearing, reproductive phase of a fungi living within the soil, the way that mushrooms are usually the fruiting bodies of large fungal colonies in the forest floor. The mold is likely thriving on the humidity and warmth of your terrarium, even if you can't see it most of the time. You may be seeing that mold on top of the soil as a response to the dry conditions, as some fungi fruit when the air is dry in order to disperse their spores more effectively (humidity = dense air = low air circulation = spores don't go far.)
~Joe

Never trust anyone who doesn't need two to reproduce!!!!!

Back