What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of questions......

I have been waiting for my D. spatulata seeds to sprout now for about 6 weeks and I still see no sign of anything. I'm hoping that I didn't harvest them too early or do something wrong at that stage of things. I thought they were supposed to sprout pretty quickly. I have them in a mix of 2:1:1 LFS:peat:sand. I keep them pretty moist and in high light uncovered (since they had some mold when they were covered). Did I do something wrong?

Also, just curious if D. Aliciae spreads from their roots and fills up a pot like some of the other plants. I have one in a pot right now, and I'm wondering if it will grow more from the roots or if I should take a couple of leaf cuttings to give him some company
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

- Joel

You should cover the spat seed and put it in the fridge. IT needs to "rest".

You can take root cuttings of D.aliciae.
BTY what does the little square under your avatar mean?

They need to rest? I didn't think that spats needed any cold temperatures to sprout. That's pretty interesting.

Do D. Aliciae grow from the roots like the D. adelae with the mother plant sending up new plants from the roots?

I asked the same question a few months ago about the little square.
smile.gif
I thought it meant that you were a mod, or some sort of important person on here lol. But if you say something bad they give you a warning and that little square means that you have a warning. One of the mods asked me if I wanted one, so he gave me a warning so I could have one!
biggrin.gif

Most Drosera can be propagated by root cuttings. You cut an inch of root off and put it jsut under the soil. It should sprout a new plant in a few weeks. Or you can decapate the plant but that ristks losing it.

I guess I was wondering if they did it without any help from me. For example, my D. Adelae is sending up new plantlets without me cutting the roots or anything, they are just growing up from the roots of the mother plant. Thanks.

D. aliciae spreads like D. spatulata. They clump new plants.

Sweet deal! That's what I was hoping for! Thanks
smile.gif

Back