What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting questions

Since the window in my room is north-facing, I have finally broken down and admitted that I will need a potentially expensive and bothersome fluorescent light to keep any plants I might have in my room alive. So, if you have just one pot with Drosera Capensis in it, how far away should the light be, and what wattage? Also, are there any brands you would recommend? And which type is better: compact or tube? Since I will only be having one plant(Even though I will eventually become as obsessed as everyone here is, I will still only be able to have one carnivorous plant at a time. Stupid parents.) for now, it'd be kind of stupid to have a whole big tube light for one itty bitty plant.

For what you need now, I'd recommend compact fluorescent. Tubes would be too big and awkward. I use a 45watt 5500K 81 CRI cf for some of my 'dews, pings, and utrics, and my plants are doing well under it. You could even get a 65 watt bulb if you want. Be warned that bulbs of this wattage are quite bright(brightness is good though.) The higher the wattage, the brighter the light.
biggrin.gif

I like to keep at least a few inches between my plants and the light, just so it's easier to access them, etc. ~6" would probably be good if you were to use the same type of bulb I have. The bulb base is normal sized, so it fits in a regular socket. I think the bulb itself ended up being ~ $18. I paid $10 for an architect's lamp w/ clamp to put the bulb in. You can get some cheaper fixtures at lowes/home depot.
If you haven't done so already, check out this link. It will give you some more specific info on color temp., CRI, etc.
Lighting 101

I have the exact problem as VFT_lover123 ! I only have two plants (VFT and Sundew).

I am planning to get a 5 gallon aquarium tank. Should I use my architect's lamp to shine through the plastic cover?

Kay - yes, if you really want to. You could probably forgo the tank(or leave the cover off, since vfts and many sundews don't need that high of humidity. Not having a cover will allow much more light to get the plants than would with the cover on.

VFT_lover123 - I think the brand is USWay lighting. I'd never heard of it before I got the bulb, but I've had no difficulties with it at all.

The folks on the Aquatic Gardening listserver which I used to frequent were 'almost' unanimous (an amazing feat in itself) in their support of AH Supply. Their kits supply the highest quantity of light per lamp/fixture.

They can be found at:AH Supply

Good luck.

I recently bought a compact fluorescent made by a company called Coralife. It's a 65w 6700K. It is very bright, and I have had it on the plants for about 10 days now, and they seem to be coloring up nicely. Has anyone used this brand of light?

Those Aquarium Hobbyist kits are too big, though, seeing as I'm only having one plant at a time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ May 11 2005,7:06)]Those Aquarium Hobbyist kits are too big, though, seeing as I'm only having one plant at a time.
Check again - the 13 watt kits are for small tanks...

They only measure 8" x 3" x 1.5". How small were you looking for?

High wattage compact fluorescent screw in bulb (preferrably 6500K, but you can find more wattage cheaper if you don't worry about temperature) - $5-10

Clamp light with reflector - $5-7

Timer - $5

Seriously... you don't need to go overboard. The plant will grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ May 12 2005,4:16)]High wattage compact fluorescent screw in bulb (preferrably 6500K, but you can find more wattage cheaper if you don't worry about temperature) - $5-10

Clamp light with reflector - $5-7

Timer - $5
If you can get prices close to this - this will work for you.

Lighting intensity is not linear w/ distance - I believe that it is exponential. Translation: a small decrease in plant to light distance is a large increase in light for the plant.

Good luck.

I'm sorry if this is bothering you. This is my first time with any CP's, and I want to be absolutely perfect in its conditions. Well, I guess it's practically impossible to perfectly replicate a CP's environment(especially D. capensis), but still.

Back