What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata 'Marston Dragon' x

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was given and just sprouted seeds. Do they revert back to just plain old D. binata?

'Marston Dragon'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct way to write the name is Drosera 'Marston Dragon', the cultivar name without the genus is like using the name, John without a last name. Real difficult to know which John without that added bit of information.]</span> is D. binata multifida x. D. binata dichotoma (maybe the other way around,) right? So who knows, you might get a surprise. In any case, they'll probably look a lot like the single-forked T-form until they're established.
~Joe

I believe that is a cultivar (correct me if I'm wrong). Even if some of the seedlings show the exact same characteristics as the cultivar, you can not call them 'Maston Dragon'. I believe cultivars can only be propogated via TC, root cuttings and leaf cuttings.

JJ

Well they sound interesting anyway.

I'll give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? Talking Ebonics and eating capricious dentists?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 13 2005,4:00)]I'll give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? Talking Ebonics and eating capricious dentists?  
smile_m_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Man, that's like the BEST thing that could happen.
~Joe

Eating the destists yes. Talking idiot language no.

You realize, of course, I was referring to "Little Shop Of Horrors" - the sequal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ May 12 2005,2:50)]I believe that is a cultivar (correct me if I'm wrong). Even if some of the seedlings show the exact same characteristics as the cultivar, you can not call them 'Maston Dragon'. I believe cultivars can only be propogated via TC, root cuttings and leaf cuttings.

JJ
Yes, it is a registered cultivar, though it is correct only when written correctly: Drosera 'Marston Dragon'.

Consider yourself corrected. Cultivars only have to match the description and photographic standard of that cultivar to qualify for the name. Their parentage is not relivant. If a seedling, of whatever parentage matches the described characteristics of the cultivar and photographic standard, it most certainly can be called by that cultivar name.

Jim,
Do you mean that these seed were a cross; D. binata 'Marston Dragon' x D. binata (multifida)?

I'll recheck the paper they came in, but that is how I remember them being written.

Back