What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis germination

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey there, I just took a bunch of seed from my D. capensis and tossed it on some peat and sphagnum to start. I covered the pot with a plastic bag to keep things nice and humid for germination, and put it on a heat mat. That was yesterday. When should I expect seedlings? When I want to remove the bag, do I need to transition them, like Nepenthes, or will it just not matter?
Thanks,
~Joe

never used a bag.........dont see the need to. they are one tough seed and seedling. i see seedlings anywhere from 7-30 days after sowing. it was 7 days when i intentionally planted some seeds and i found unwanted seedlings in pots about 30 days after the last time my D. capensis was allowed to flower. i swear i have these lil twerps coming out my ears. my dang Utric pots are infected with capensis seedlings....................DO NOT let you D. capensis flower they are trying to take over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what Sheridan said! I have so many capenslings scattered in a variety of pots, through absolutely no effort or inclination of my own. They are the dandelion of the CP world!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I pluck those weeds out of my pots all the time...  Im gonna let a couple flower this season because I gave away the last of my seed stock earlier this year..  but I am going to quarantine them when I do. lol

Oh yeah.. anywhere from a week to a month should see sprouting. You should have flowering size plants by the end of the season or early next spring.

Steve

I didn't invent that one, but someone who also uses ^_^ did!

Back