What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. paradoxa sending up flower stalks

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Title & description say it all.

Finally flowering for you Scott?
From what I understand you need to have 2 different clones of the plant and rub the flowers together.
Since yours were seed grown, I do not know if that means you can take 2 plants grown from seed, which came from the same plant I guess, and it will work or not.
All 3 of my plants have flower stalks on them again, so I'm interested in this as well.

It's also my understanding that the gecko is correct.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From what I understand you need to have 2 different clones of the plant and rub the flowers together.
If you have 2 seed grown plants, they should work.

To answer your question - No - not self fertile....
smile_h_32.gif

Just makes us have to work harder to get the seed (and then appreciate it more...).

I've got a D. petiolaris and a D. paradoxa racing w/ their flowers - it'll be interesting if they are open together...

Good luck,

two CLONES? that makes no sense. two seed grown plants is not the same as two clones of the plant. crossing two clones is just like self pollinating.

but I guess you meant two clones from different seed grown plants. then it does make sense.

Looks like I'll be developing some pollinating skills soon!

I currently have 2 paradoxa flowering at the same time, on with pink flowers, one with white flowers. I have rubbed together those flowers that have been open simultaneously, and the seed pods of those that have been rubbed together are nocticably larger than those that have not been pollinated, so it looks like the flower rubbing does produce seed, although I won't know for certain until the seed pods open.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ May 17 2005,7:36)]two CLONES? that makes no sense. two seed grown plants is not the same as two clones of the plant. crossing two clones is just like self pollinating.

but I guess you meant two clones from different seed grown plants. then it does make sense.
"Two clones" is a short way to say "to genetically different clones". In this case "clone" is not used in the way of cloning = producing genetically equal invidual.

Jim: I would cut every additional flower stalk from now on as those plants tend to bloom to death in cultivation!

Jan

Jan & Greg: Thank you for the valuable info!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jim: I would cut every additional flower stalk from now on as those plants tend to bloom to death in cultivation!
Hi Jan,
Curious if you mean specifically D. paradoxa or all of the petiolaris complex?

Back