What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algae in the drosera pots

having kept fish for years, i was already convinced that at the end of the world there will be cockroaches and algae. now the lovely green goo has invaded my drosera seedlings' pots. (D. capensis & D. capillaris) will this harm my plants? it's been spreading pretty slowly, of course the darn stuff loves the same conitions as the plants and i hate using any chemicals to get rid of it. any solutions?

thanx!

Spray it vigorously with water once a day. Something about disrupting the colonies tend to help eliminate it. This has worked great for my indoor pots, but not so well for my outdoor pots for some reason.
~Joe

Are you talking about a layer of algae on the surface? It can choke out seedlings. What I have done with success is to overfill the container, and you can do this by placing your pot in a larger, taller container. Then coax the the lagae layer to separate from the soil media and manually remove. Re-plant the seedlings if they become dislodged.

Are you using a terrarium?

nope, no terrarium, just the tray method by my window and a nice bright flourescent light. the D. capensis 'typical' pot already has at least one seedling with two teeeeeny tiny dew-covered leaves
smile.gif

i just tried the spray method on the largest patches of algae and it actusally seems to have knocked a lot of the green goo off, though i may have lost one or two seedlings in the process (oh well, i have at least thirty per pot. all i need is one or two to make it). i'll keep it up at least until the plants get bigger... thanx guys
smile.gif

Looks like you are surviving the CP learning curve - mold, algae, snu....

it shouldnt take to long for your D. capensis to get big enough for algae to no longer be a concern. as long as they are not terribly crowded they will put on size fast. but when youve got prolly 200 in a 3.5 inch pot, they dont grow very fast for some reason
smile_n_32.gif
good luck with them.

Back