What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis003.jpg

Byblis gigantea (Perth Airport site)- received as a tiny seedling at the end of March. It's now 7 inches tall.

Pictures2010.jpg

Drosophyllum seed pod- hopefully soon to open

Pictures2076.jpg

Drosera madagascariensis

pygmy009.jpg

Drosera paleacea ssp. roseana

Pictures2042.jpg

DD. adelae & prolifera

NICE PICS! Are Drosophyllum easy to grow? I plan on getting one someday and I was wondering how to grow this plant successfully as I think it is a really neat plant in my opinion.

Thanks, Dewy. I've grown the Drosophyllum on a South-facing windowsill  un the UK since last Summer with no problems. I think they need a lot of sun and not too much water. They also are reported to always die of repotted. Mine's Slack-potted in a mix of sand, peat & John Innes typed compost.

Very nice. How much sun do your D. prolifera and D. adelea get? Mine get bright light and about 2 hours=3 hours sun

Tre,

My Queensland Drosera currently get about 13 hours light from three UV growlights. They are about a foot away from the lights near the front of the tank, where there is less light anyway. Such light levels are no good for other Drosera that I grow, but suits these plants fine.

This is more of a general question, how do you water pygmy dew?
I use a squirt bottle but the mist takes the dew off, if I just pour in the water it moves the media around to much for my young pygmys. Does anyone have a gentle way of watering them?

Thanks
Chris

by the way I love the bed of pygmys. coolest thing ever.

Chris,

Most growers stand their pygmies in a tray of soft water (unless they have the more difficult ones prone to summer dormancy). This method ensures that they do not dry out and avoids removing their dew whilst watering.

thanks

I'm afriad the pot I planted them in is to tall for that to work, and I dont want to try to translpant them, but I'll remeber that next time haha.

Back