What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. ascendens

Here is my D. ascendens, which lives year round outdoors on my deck:

D_ascendens.sized.jpg

Capslock

Nice plant! Is the live LFS the result of the bagged, dried material that "came alive" over time? It looks just like mine.

Nice!!! I miss mine. It was a beauty. Its a very attractive plant.

Very nice. By anychance does it get bigger?

Yes, it should. Here's a picture of a more mature plant:

DSC09424.jpg

That's a really cool plant. I love the look of the tentacles.

Okay. I was sure it would get bigger. BTW what are your temperature ranges that you can grow it in?

Hi guys!

It sure does get bigger! The largest D.ascedens I ever found was about 2 years ago at the Serra do Cabral in central Minas Gerais state, SE Brazil. The leaves were 7.2cm long!!!!

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. The largest D.villosa I've ever seen had leaves 13cm long!

Yup, D. ascendens is a nice little gem. I've always wanted to give mine more light but only by now am I able to have the possability of thinking up something creative enough. Mine:
Longest leaf: 4.5 cm
Height: 7cm tall
I'll try to post a pic in a few minutes...

Edit: The pic attempt. Note, the camera I used is pretty bad and the flash takes away just about all the red colouration of the plant in the picture making it look rather sickly.
confused.gif
One of these days I'll take a pic of this plant with a decent camera, it's more dewy in person.
smile.gif

309ascendens02-med.jpg

This one was taken 2005-06-12

309Mid_D_ascendens-med.jpg

This one was taken 2004-08-16

This is one of the more heat sensitive Brasillian species in my experience. A few days of over 80F are probably acceptable, but I would avoid long periods of warm water about the roots. Optimal range would be 50-70F, and a night time drop is advisable if not mandatory for long term success. I have also noted flowering and seed set tends to deplete the plant, and at this time high temps should be carefully avoided. Plants do return from the roots if the rosettes die back, but this is not reliable.

Hello,

To keep the roots cool i use rather big pots, which are themselves embed into larger pots. The interspace is filled up with sphagnum. It is similar to what is called 'Slack Potting' for Drosophyllum. This helps to keep the roots cooler. I measure a difference of about 5°C on a hot day. With this setup my plants are standing in my greenhouse, where the temperatures can reach about 35°C. If it gets that hot, they are shaded. This has not yet been a problem for any of my south american plant. I also grow Heliamphora hispidula like that. The most important thing for me is to give the plants a good temperature drop at night. This is, except for maybe three to four weeks, no problem in Germany.

Christian

Back