What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis seeds

I sent a few sase's out and was rewarded with quite a bit of capensis seeds. This is my first time ever growing cp's from seeds so I was wondering how long it takes to see any growth?

PS: I started the seeds in live spagnum moss with a very thin top layer of dried up moss, and I mist the moss a few times a day. Is this a good way to grow them or should I do something else?

D. capensis doesn't really need to be beneath the medium to germinate - just put it on the preferred mix and keep it moist until you see sprouts. I just started a tray of capensis and it took about five days to see the first sprouts, and two weeks later they're still coming up.
~Joe

D. capensis take any where from 7 days in my experiance (looks like 5 days in Joes) to about 30 days and maybe longer. most will pop up with in 14 days. peat or peat and sand is a better medium but i can speak from experiance your seeds will start in LFS as long as it is damp. i keep getting seedlings in my U. reniformis pot which is just LFS(its a large pot there for a good target for seeds to hit, plus i dont want them in there which makes it all the more likely that they end up in there). when they are bigger i would move them into peat. i wouldnt spray them just setting the pot of LFS in a tray of water will keep the LFS damp enough. D. capensis is a weed, though a pretty weed. i prolly have 1000 seedlings both intentionally planted and volenteers

Yep, what they said- if the ones I sent you don't "turn" out (pun on the username, an awful pun) I should still have a few more...

One thing I've noticed that others have mentioned in other threads is that of all the Drosera seed I've sown, D.capensis really looks distinct after a month or so of growth- the seeds I planted 3 or so months ago are almost one inch across and maybe half that high...
And you might be surprised at how tiny the seedlings start out... somehow I am surprised every time still- if you have a magnifying glass, that might help- I've found that they aren't even visible until a day or two after sprouting without one

Good Luck!!

Just take the D. capensis seeds and toss them in the air. In a few weeks, you will have seedlings everywhere -- even between your toes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ June 01 2005,5:09)]Just take the D. capensis seeds and toss them in the air. In a few weeks, you will have seedlings everywhere -- even between your toes.
I think there's a statement behind the statement! I was gonna come up with something sarcastic, but Mr. Z. beat me to it.

I just planted some of these seeds as well. I took a 4inch pot and filled the bottom with sphagnum moss, then on top of that 50/50 peat/perlite. Then threw the seeds on top of the media. I misted them, and placed a little plastic dome over it. I have the pot sitting outside on my cart on the bottom shelf, so it won't get full direct sun. Does this sound ok? I wanted to dome it for a day or so just to make sure the seeds are settled, then I will take off the dome. The pot is standing in a tray of water also. Thanks.

Just curious, were they germinated indoors or outside? I like the go slow approach. They should do just fine. If they were sprouted outside, then there wouldn't be any need to keep them shielded from the sun. Usually, it's garden center / tissue culture / stressed plants that react to too much light or significant changes to their environment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 01 2005,12:36)]D. capensis take any where from 7 days in my experiance (looks like 5 days in Joes) to about 30 days and maybe longer. most will pop up with in 14 days.
I think that mine got off to an early start because I had the pot bagged and on a seedling heat mat. Early last week I started some D. capensis 'Broadleaf Giant' I won in the auction, and I haven't noticed any sprouts yet, but it's just in open air on the shelf with my shorter indoor plants, no special treatment. I think that heat and humidity is a big factor for germination time for D. capensis - it certainly is with a lot of other plants.
~Joe

Back