What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas what this is?

I found  few Drosera images that might match this but I'm still at a loss for what these little plants really are-
100_3680.jpg

This photo I believe is D. occidentalis-
100_3683.jpg

This third photo I believe is D. burmannii-
100_3685.jpg

This 4th photo I believe is D. dielsiana-
100_3679.jpg

Please don't be shy, correct me on any you believe I have misidentified.

Yup, they're all sundews! I'll have to check the D. dielsiana out at work to be sure. The third pic doesn't seem to have tentacles wide enough to be D. burmanni. Wait for the real CP experts!

1- Probably D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis.
2- Probably D. nitidula ssp. nitidula x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis.
3- Definitely D. burmannii
4- Definitely D. dielsiana

All could do with a touch more light.

Hey Jim, you and me are in the same boat!  We should congratulate ourselves for being able to identify them as Drosera!  Yay!  

Hey Seandew, I'll try to get better photos today by taking the plants outside for a little photo session. Thanks so much for confirming photo #3 and #4.  I spent hours at the Humboldt site holding the plants in their little pots up to the computer monitor.  Gosh, I love that site.

You know something, you are about the 10th person to comment about the plants I have inside needing more light. Those particular plants were in front of a window receiving about 7 hours of afternoon light and additionally had a nice big wattage grow light trained on them. I need to check something out with my windows. Something is not sitting right with me based on all the comments I receive about plants needing more light that are in front of my windows. A light is going off in my head right about now and I am beginning to get a sinking feeling here. I need to do a little bit of research on my windows.  There's a file here somewhere that has specs on the products chosen back from when we built this home.

About that second photo, I did find something on the Internet that might be a match for it other than D. occidentalis. Something called D. x 'Beermullah'. Does this make sense to anyone?

D x "Beermullah"= D. nitidula ssp. omissa x D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis. Your plant could easily be this hybrid, that's why I wasn't definite in my ID. I'd say that it is one of the 2.

Hi Sean, say... thanks for helping me.  I really appreciate it.

Here are two new photos.  They certainly aren't the quality that elgecko gets but they are better than what I originally posted here. See if this helps you confirm-

441097ea.jpg

8d080dab.jpg

One thing is for sure, with you in the forums I will never go and spend the hours I spent over the past month trying to figure out what I had. I think I looked at about a thousand images merely trying to narrow the identifications down. Again, I thank you.

Also too, I think you are correct on the lighting my plants are receiving.  I may have a problem over here that I never realized I had. We have some sort of specialty windows that are reducing the "damaging" effects of sun. I am thinking this is not good for plants.

Laura, please tell us novices what the "Humboldt site" is.

Thanks,

John

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hortman @ June 11 2005,8:54)]Laura, please tell us novices what the "Humboldt site" is.

Thanks,

John
Humboldt site

Also known as the carnivorous plant photo finder. It's an incredibly powerful tool created and maintained by our Robert Ziemer. I don't know how he does it.... but I hope he keeps on doing it....
smile_m_32.gif

Just thought to ask but have you tried feeding the burmanni yet?

Hortman, the Humboldt site is my CP Torah and Talmud!  I live over there when I am trying to ID something.  That site is unparalleled for quality images.  A few links are broken but for the most part, I have found no other site that is "one stop shopping". Truly a labor of love that is a gift to all of us from the man who maintains the site.

No, I haven't tried to feed the burmanni. Should I be? I was trying to unload the burmanni but have decided to let it hang out in and around some of my Sarr pots. What do I feed the burmanni?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 11 2005,9:15)]... the Humboldt site is my CP Torah and Talmud! ... A few links are broken.
So, if you want to make the Photo Finder better, send me an email when you find broken links and I will try to fix them.

Hard to improve upon the best however the next time I run across broken links, I'll send them on.

Laura I feed my D. burmannii dried bloodworms, and they seem to like them. Plus they are easier to handle then live food.

Back