What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madigascarensis photo

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
here is my D. madigascarensis "Bostwana"

4053e80e.jpg

Looking good!!
I was trying to take a pic of mine the other day but it wouldn't happen- yours looks better anyways
biggrin.gif

BEAUTIFUL plant!

i cropped off all the dead leaves that are twords the bottom, thank god for photoshop
smile_n_32.gif

Nice looking plant! Mine are green, but I moved them from SE to SW window sill. Is that a flower scape? That is one sundew that hasn't flowered yet. Do you get plantlets replacing the older plants?

it was a flower scrape. i sliced it a month ago and got all of 3 seedlings to pop up for my effort. i havent got plantlets replacing these two yet but i do have the 3 seedlings. if you can get D. capensis, or D. nidiformis or any other South African dew to flower you should be able to flower D. madigascarensis

actually after a second look, that may be the flower scrape i recently cut off of my D. aliciea

Just looked at mine. The couple of weeks to the SW sill is reddening the tentacles. Maybe I'll see some action. D. aliciae and adelae I just can't get to flower, either - just plantlets.

i havent even attempted to grow D. adelae in over a year. i cant grow it period.

high humidity, low light, and 100% pure LFS. now that i've given you the secret to D. adelae, how do you get your dews so red?! what lighting?

would you believe 4 ft flourecents? ive got my most of my dews on a shelf about 16-18 inches tall with 2 pairs of 32 watt 4 foot flourecents over them.

no way.. i've got 440 watts of VHO about 18 inches over my dews and the only drosera i can get to produce copious dew is my D. adelae! i tried moving them closer to the lights and theres more redness but no dew.

if they don't start earning their keep they are going outside with the Sarracenia...

your an exeptional grower

here is my setup, the Drosera and Pings are on the top shelf, you can kinda make out the D. capensis on the shelf.

1setup.jpg

Jiminy Cricket- it looks like "The Road Warrior" out your window in that pic man!!
Fine use of space on your setup- I have been thinking of how to improve my rig and that looks like a good direction to head off in (anything beats the current one, 2 desklamps on a crummy table)

Do you leave the Sarrs right there in the window all summer??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 14 2005,6:36)]high humidity, low light, and 100% pure LFS. now that i've given you the secret to D. adelae, how do you get your dews so red?! what lighting?
I think I'll toss a few plantlets in with my live LFS, as yet another (safe) experiment.

lol the pic was taken twords the end of winter. we have had almost 4 inches of rain since the first of the month with more predicted fot this week(last year we had 2.3 inches total for the month of June) needless to say its quite green at the moment. i am not sure what im going to do with the Sarrs this summer. last summer they survived under flourecents. this summer is supposed to be hotter than last so i think i may put them in a south window here at work for the summer so i can close the curtain at home. also they are alot taller this year than last.

also yes this is a good setup to save space and it works well. my setup looks terrible cause im big on "that will do for now" type logic. WHEN i redo it i will find 4 ft shelves instead of the PITA 3.5 footers that the local harware store carries. it was quite interesting rigging up the lights. also i dont care for my tray set up and it needs to me refined.

That is a very nice setup. Is there a special type of light you use for it? A certain grow light. I've heard that they like a certain spectrum of light or something......not really sure. I bought a light at walmart that says it's a "Grow Light". I'm trying it on my venus fly traps.

thats a nice capensis... sometimes my dewies dont "re do the dew" after prey is caught
smile_h_32.gif

i can get you the number, they are nothing special, just bulbs i buy in bulk(20 or 24 at a time). when i got started in CPs a lil less than 2 years ago i asked what kind of 4ft flourecents to look for, a half dozen ppl gave me a dozen bulb numbers to go look for and these where the first ones i found. i think they run $20 for 12 or something along those lines at Home Depot or Lowes. they are 32watt T8's i believe but other than i would have to look at the box.

Back