What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna see some movement

So Im asking which sundews have the most visible movement.  
smile_n_32.gif

D. capensis and D. ascendens move pretty fast. D. aliciae, D. slackii, even my pygmy sundews also move, although not as fast. The only ones that I have that don't seem to move at all are D. multifida "extrema" and D. "marston dragon".

D. regia

I hear that D. regia only moves on the tips of the leaves, or when it's young. In the Savage Garden book it says that the fastest moving sundews are D. scorpioides, D. pauciflora (which I can't find anywhere), and D. burmanni.

D. prolifera folds up on larger prey, as do D. intermedia and rotundifolia if memory serves. I'd never read about it before, but I've seen several of my D. filiformis seedlings wrap up larger prey items.
~Joe

I think he's talking about a plant that you can actually see moving, not a plant that (as stated in Savage Garden) "moves dramatically over prey". The SG quote just means that the tentacles fold over and bunch up and so.

Savage Garden says that the three Drosera I have listed above can fold over a bug in a minute. I guess that may be visible. It would be like watching a minute-hand on a clock. If you're going for quick movement, I'd go with a VFT.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ June 14 2005,11:51)]I hear that D. regia only moves on the tips of the leaves, or when it's young. In the Savage Garden book it says that the fastest moving sundews are D. scorpioides, D. pauciflora (which I can't find anywhere), and D. burmanni.
Add D. sessilifolia to the list.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ June 14 2005,8:51)]I hear that D. regia only moves on the tips of the leaves, or when it's young.
If prey becomes stuck, the D. regia the tentacles and leaf will bend at just about any point along the leaf -- as can be seen here with several leaves.
D_regiamoth2318.JPG

However, prey caught near the leaf tips can be completely wrapped up.
D_regiamoth2316.JPG

Drosera burmannii has rapid movement in the outermost stalked glands (as does D. sessilifolia). Harder to find but also quick is Drosera glanduligera. For overall position change over time both Drosera regia and Drosera capensis wrap things up nicely.

Back