What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think i lost my d. intermedia today..

I was looking at it today and noticed it was starting to be choked by LFS. It was becoming live LFS around the center of the plant and had little hay upshoots everywhere. So I tried removing the live LFS but this made the plant seem unstable, like it wasn't anchored. So I went to replant it and I noticed there was more than one plant, 3 all together to be exact. So I tried seperating them by hand and spraying the dirt by the roots with water. I have the two small ones in a 4inch pot and the bigger one in the 6inch pot. I really hope they bounce back. Anyways I didn't use any LFS ontop this time. Maybe I should wait until they are bigger to use it? What is your guys' experience with LFS and small sundews?

I favor peat/sand mixes for the smaller Drosera species. Actually, D. intermedia did well for me in plain peat. Don't overexpose those small offsets, they are likely to be very stretched and weak from lack of light and too much too soon might affect them. Suggest you keep the humidity high (and no direct sun) until you note good new growth and then gradually reduce it altogether provided you have 40% RH.

I planted a bunch of seed in live LFS this winter and was horrified when the moss quickly began burying them this spring. I stopped watering from the top and let the moss dry out in the sun, which slowed most of it down. I know a few seedlings got smothered, but not all is lost. Several seedlings are climbing up over the LFS, and seem to be doing just fine despite the relatively dry conditions on the surface (I still keep them in a tray, so the soil underneath the moss is very wet.) If you can, you might try pinching it back where it's impinging on your plants. You win some and you lose some, but I wouldn't worry - it sounds like you caught it in time. If they handle the transplanting, everything should be peachy. It sounds like Tamlin has the right idea about nursing them up to strength before putting them in direct sun.
~Joe

Live sphagnum won't even slow a mature d. intermedia down. They grow a shoot up to keep in sync with the sphagnum growth. The sphagnum can't bury the plant no matter how hard it tries. Seedlings are always best in straight peat. You can plant into live sphagnum later if you want.

I was on a bog walk recently with the NECPS. The site was completely covered in live LFS, and we could clearly see purps peeking out, their growth points completely covered. However, when we took a closer look, and poked around in the LFS, we found rotundofolia buried--it was everywhere just beneath the live LFS and in perfectly dewy condition.

Well that's the thing my intermedia wasn't mature. Was only about two inches in height. I also didn't plant them in live LFS, it was dead...most have had spores in it.

Back