What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating d. binata (multifida extrema)

Have ya tried anything resembling what I do with the 50 ml centrifuge tubes? don't even chop them up. I just place the whole fork in there and fill it up with deionized water and cap it. A few weeks later, 15-20 growth points. Then I ship it out. It also works with D. filiformis. Actually, anything works with those two!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 27 2005,7:50)]Have ya tried anything resembling what I do with the 50 ml centrifuge tubes...
Any idea where a non-scientist could get ahold of 50ml tubes like that?

Go to a lab and ask would be my bet. Actually Jim might send you some if you ask nicely. Or maybe some other scientist will also. Actaully Jim I have been meaning to ask do all your tubes at work have to be sterile? If so how often do you have a "popped bag".

do you have extra D. filiformis? i'd be very interested....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LeftCoast @ June 24 2005,6:52)]If you get a chance, please post pix. Would love to see your setup.
I would love to, but my digital camera is a piece of junk. The macro setting doesn't do much good, so it's pretty useless for small things.

I want to get the Canon EOS 20D... One can dream...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]Nice job!  Did you replace the distilled water every day, or did you just put it into a sterilized tube/jar and cover it.

I used one of those clear small plastic cubes that they sell VFTs in at Lowe's.  I used it upside down, so the dome was the water receptacle, and the base was the cover.  I added distilled water and forgot about them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]Also, a couple of questions for the two of you, if you don't mind:  

1. I assume you sterilized your containers.  What did you use to do this?

Actually, no, I did not sterilize.  In the future, I would probably use Iodophor.  I brew beer, so I have plenty of it on hand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]2. I noticed that some of the stems have what appears to be "rot."  How do you deal with this and other pesky problems like mold growth (plant tissue itself often has spores and fungi growing on and in it)?

I ignored it.  There was something there, but it didn't consume the plant, and doesn't appear to have harmed it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 26 2005,1:06)]3. Do any of you use artificial lighting on your cuttings?  Any advice on this?

100% fluorescent lighting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 27 2005,9:09)]do you have extra D. filiformis? i'd be very interested....
I currently have one 'California Sunset' in the live LFS and I can also get more cuttings.

Tre: The tubes are cleaned by the manufacturer. I am unfamiliar with the "popped bag" phrase.

One can easily improvise, as Sarracenia Scott has. A glass jar w/lid or a cleaned peanut butter jar is the same concept. You can use your household items.

Thanks.....it's nice for a worry-wort like me to hear that immaculate sterilization, daily water changes, etc. are not absolutely necessary for success.

Based on how easy it sounds, I'll try this on my D.binata when it has a couple of leaves to spare.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ June 28 2005,4:27)]Thanks.....it's nice for a worry-wort like me to hear that immaculate sterilization, daily water changes, etc. are not absolutely necessary for success.
It happens all the time in nature, with far less optimum conditions even than what I provide.

Ahh...60-80s...Cooked my leaf cuttings, I did. Try again in a cooler place, I must.

Lights required? A cool and bright place...difficult here in Singapore!
confused.gif

That's too bad.

Well, I just took some leaf cuttings of my D.graminifolia and put them in water.....hopefully, I'll have better luck!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ July 06 2005,11:51)]That's too bad.

Well, I just took some leaf cuttings of my D.graminifolia and put them in water.....hopefully, I'll have better luck!  
smile_m_32.gif
Let me/us know how it turns out. I have the 'spiralis' form, from seed, cultivating.

Will do. With any luck, I'll have a litter of graminifolias by the end of the year.
smile.gif

Back