What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. desliana & intermedia flowers

so a couple of my Drosera desliana have had flower spikes, but I can never see them open! I told kyle and he says it's because they only open for an hour or so... can anyone tell me what time that would be? I want to know what the flower looks like and take pictures.
I also want to see my D. intermedia flowers... are they like D. desliana?

Hi,

From my own experience it is best to look after Drosera flowers in the early afternoon. This is also when most of my plants open their flower.

Btw, the flowers can be much longer opened than just one hour. It seems as if temperature is the most important thing for a flower to open. We just had the hotest day (about 33°C) for the area i live in (middle of Germany). My greenhouse was early completely shaded. Despite nearly no light reaching some of my plants (mostly south-african), the flowers were opened from early morning until late afternoon. All the windows and the door of my greenhouse were open. The humidity was down to 25%. Has anyone made similar (or completely different ??) experiences?

For those who have not yet seen flowers of these two, here are two pictures:

dielsiana_DROS41_004.jpg

Drosera dielsiana

intermedia_DROS42_013.jpg

Drosera intermedia 'Mt. Roraima'

hmm... late afternoon is when i'm online so I don't check them. thanks! *goes off to check... nope*

Best time for me is usually the period just before midday. As Christian says, the hotter the day the longer the flowers will stay open for.

BTW- it is spelt dielsiana rather than desliana

I keep the majority of my plants at the lab and make a mid-morning & mid-afternoon visit. The mid-morning visit is when I see the flowers open. By mid-afternoon, all are closed up.

I didn't say they only open for an hour. I said SOME types only open for an hour or so. I'm pretty sure I learned that on here.

Back