What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis, d.burmannii, b.liniflora

Hello,

I just received D.capensis, D.burmannii, and B.liniflora seed from some very generous individuals at the trading post.

This will be my first attempt to grow drosera and byblis from seed.  

I've done some reading on seed sowing but would like some information on soil mixes, seed pretreatment (gibberellic acid, stratification) whether to cover container for humidity, and other information that would increase my chances of success for each of these seeds.

All the seed have been stored in the fridge for 1 day now.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

D. capensis does not require refridgeration, and will literally sprout on any damp surface but a peat sand mix is best though pure peat works well to. give the pot light and keep it in a tray of water and you should see plantlets with in 2 weeks. no cover needed. i have no experiance witht he other two

take the byblis seed out. iono about the rest.

sprinkle them on 2/1 sand/peat (you can use other stuff but that's what i use) and stick somewhere warm. B. liniflora doesn't need fire treatment or gibberellic acid to germinate.

same goes for D. capensis. don't know about burmannii. i used to use 1/1 peat/sand for my d. capensis.

D.burmanii is a "no treatment required" too AFAIK though somehwere else here someone (I think it was Tamlin) explained that they MUST be fresh- there is so little endosperm that seeds of it (and a few others) die very quickly- I planted over 50 seeds of it and got ONE plant- my germination rates with other stuff are dang near 100% so plant 'em QUICK and you should be okay
Mine are all in 60/40 sand-peat and seem fine
Hope this helps!!

Once again, I thank you all for the help.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to sow some seed--especially the D.burmannii (which seems to be time-sensitive).

Byblis seed germinates quickly and does best in a humid environment, more humid than normal open tray plants. They are sensitive to drying out as well as having their roots disturbed. This i speak with experience. They love the light. I am crowing my current batch of 3 in swampy, live LFS, at a SW window sill, open tray. So far so good.

My byblis seeds are in a deep pot with equal parts sand and peat about 1-2 inches from a florescent bulb. The pot is covered with plastic wrap and so far, nothing has happened. It's only been like...3 days though so I didn't expect them to germinate so quickly.

The first batch of seeds received surprisingly too about a week. The nest time it took a couple months.Tthe third time it took about 2 weeks. Go figure...
confused.gif

Thanks again, guys, for the info.

Jim, you said that byblis are prone to drying--I assume you mean soil? And your comment about humidity worries me....I ran out of terrarium space and I was considering growing the seedlings/adult plant under fluros in my new setup. Its a mini plant stand with multiple shelves and a plastic cover.

The lighting will be good, humidity between 60-70%, and temps 80-85F. I was planning on growing plants open tray. You're growing yours on a windowsill, open tray so it sounds like they could do good in my new setup.

But perhaps I should cover the seed while germinating?

What do you/anyone think?

Thanks.

I had mine covered when germinating the first few times. Someone (Pinguiculaman?) said they can grow in water. So I figure that a media of peat & sand with live LFS, kept wet and uncovered, would be a good idea. So far so good. Temps are also in the upper 80's in the afternoon. I just don't have anything in terraria or with artificial lighting. I depend upon window sills for most of what I have and for the most part, things are good. I cringe when Winter hits, though. Yes, that's drying soil. I went away for a few days and when I came back, about half of the plants died. They were open tray, on a kitchen window sill. I alternated between covering and uncovering. With the swampy conditions, I don't worry about drying or low humidity.

D. burmannii is a tricky one to grow from seed. They don't seem to all grow in intervals, instead one might pop up in a week. Then after maybe months the rest all the sudden sprout.

My experience with Byblis seeds is that they need a lot of sunlight (and presumably heat) to germinate. I have to put them (covered) in full sunlight for germination; without that, there was no germination. Furthermore, I'm in Singapore, where 30C days are the norm!

Back