What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woolly pics for rl7836

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
You asked for it, here they are.
petiolaris.jpg

Uh oh...more plants to add to my *covet* list.
smile.gif

They are beautiful Larry.
smile.gif

Hmmm... very complex!
smile_m_32.gif
Nice plants!

I think that they need more sunlight!
see you!

Hi Larry,
Thanks for posting the pics - I really appreciate seeing Woolies. Now we've just got to get more people growing these guys....

OK folks - there's the pictures ..... what species are they?

Hint - there's one 'named' hybrid in the group....

Clockwise from top left0
1. D. paradoxa
2. hybrid - could be anything with D. lanata/darwinensis/derbyensis as part of the cross probably with paradoxa as the other half.
3. D. dilatato-petiolaris (sold incorrectly as D. petiolaris "red" by some places, particularly Triffid Park)
4. D. ordensis

Okay, until Sean showed up, iI was gonna say that the top left is a D. paradoxa.... Man I wish I had HIS eye!

Doesn't mean I'm right though Jim.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ July 06 2005,5:48)]Doesn't mean I'm right though Jim.  
smile.gif
LOL! Given a choice, however, between the two of, I would definitley side with you! I still want to have you transported to my place for an hour and straighten out my pigmy dews and determine what in the world deposited themselves to the other containers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. D. dilatato-petiolaris (sold incorrectly as D. petiolaris "red" by some places, particularly Triffid Park)

Hi Seandew,
Could you spell out what makes #3 a D. dilatato-petiolaris vs a D. fulva or D. caduca? I do not yet have Lowrie's vol 3 but the photos of those 3 frequently look quite similar. The D. dilatato-petiolaris usually has longer arms in photos.... or so it seems... Trap shape?
tia

The plants could easily be D. fulva as D. fulva and D. dilatato-petiolaris are very difficult to tell apart. The main difference between these 2 is the height of the flowerscape- it is much taller in D. fulva.

The plants in the photo appear to be heading into dormancy and not at their best so it isn't possible to be sure of the ID. They just appeared very close to my plants of D. dilatato-petiolaris and others that I have seen. A strong, healthy, mature plant in full growth and flower are the only definite ways of IDing this plant.

I don't grow D. caduca but from what I have seen the petioles of this species are frequently very long with quite small laminas on the end. The width of the petioles seems to be a bit wider too.

As I said though, from the image and the current state of the plants it is difficult to be definite.

Seandew,
Thanks for the info - it's very helpful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The main difference between these 2 is the height of the flowerscape- it is much taller in D. fulva.

It's interesting that the main difference between these 2 is flowerscape height. I currently have a very large D. paradoxa in bloom with a scape barely above the top of the plant and another different clone that is 1/4 the size of the large one with a scape that is over 10" high (I have to bend it over to keep it off the top of the tank).

There are other differences, but the height of the flowerscape is simply the easiest characteristic that can be used to differentiate the two. The spent flowers of D. fulva droop downwards whereas those of D. dilatato-petiolaris point upwards. The pedicels of D. fulva are around half the length of D. dilatato-petiolaris. D. fulva also has glabrous leaves during the growth period before it produces hairy leaves as dormancy approaches. All of these features are not possible to determine in the photo.

Back