What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To flower or not to flower...

This is the question. I received a bunch of plants about 3-4 weeks ago. About a week later the d. binata marston dragon and the d. filiformis sent up flower stalks. I cut them off since i assumed they where flowering because they were stressed. Now, my filiformis is sending up another one and i don't know if its safe to let it flower without harming the plant. What do you guys think?

According to Savage Garden, d. binata doesn't set seeds well (if at all) so cutting the flower off is probably a good thing as it will only drain energy from the plant. Not sure about the d. filiformis.

I would cut of the stems either way, even if the species seeded well or not, just because of the fact that flowering drains the plant so much.
Of course, if you are wanting seed, you wouldn't want to take this route.

Both my D. binata & filiformis (Califorina Sunset) have flowered this year. I can't speak for seeds, though I have collected pods, but the flowering hasn't harmed the plants. As we speak, the D. binata is sending up another stalk.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 03 2005,8:59)]Both my D. binata & filiformis (Califorina Sunset) have flowered this year. I can't speak for seeds, though I have collected pods, but the flowering hasn't harmed the plants. As we speak, the D. binata is sending up another stalk.
This is interesting to hear. I let my d. binata bloom once and it really seemed to slow down the growth for a time. It didn't harm it, but the leaves it put up for about a month after were smaller. I haven't let it bloom since.

I'd be interested to hear if you get viable seed, Jim.

Me too! I just harvested my D. filiformis seeds as well and rubbed a pod between my fingers. As far as I could tell, I can see seeds, as opposed to other plant parts. Viability,.... that's another story.
confused.gif

Back