What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the habitat of the d.paradoxa?

• Thread starter sam
  • Start date
I hope a details.
Not only the country.
Thanks

North western Western Australia. Extremely hot, wet and humid monsoonal summers with a hot dry season in the winter.

Sandy soils in open areas that are wet in summer but dry out in winter.

Thanks seandew.
Because my friend come to my home and I tell him it's D.paradoxa, he tell me one place of name is Paradoxa in Australia, he ask me it's come from Paradoxa?
But I don't know.
Paradoxa is the habitat of the D.paradoxa?
It will go dormancy in winter at its habitat?

Thanks

Isn't H.K. similar with heat and humidity? Mine are growing and flowering in a warm upper room, open tray, at a window sill, with sand & peat, with live LFS on top.

D. darwinensis comes from Darwin.
D. derbyensis comes from Derby.
D. broomensis comes from Broome.
D. ordensis comes from the Ord River region.
But there is no town called Paradoxa in WA.

Jim, north western WA is much hotter in summer than HK, not sure how the winters compare though.

This, and all other species of the petiolaris group will undertake some form of dormancy during the dry winter.

In HK, summer temp. between 32-34C, winter around 7-10C.
I know their habitat have 40C in summer.

Sean, I received seeds a year ago and had the sprouted seedlings on the kitchen window sill for the fall and part of winter. I moved them to the lab and they are now reddened and flowering. I don't think they had a proper dormancy. What might I expect, down the road? What temps are they expecting for dormancy? What will they look like when dormant?

Similarly, my D. peltata have now dried up this summer. How can I determine whether they just died back or truly died?

It was named D.paradoxa because of the paradox between its different growth cycles, sometimes forming rosettes and sometimes long stems.

It's present in N Australia (Darwin region) and I think NW too.

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia.

Oh! I'm very happy to know more between discussion.
Thanks all doctor!!!
But I never see a photos about their rosettes form.
Anybody have this picture.
N Australia (Darwin region)=Northern Territory?

Sam,

Not great photos, but you get an idea what the plant looks like.
dros038.jpg

dros010.jpg

Thanks Greg Allan.
I ask my Australia CPs friend yesterday.
And confirm that N Australia (Darwin region)=Northern Territory.
Then Northern Territory is habitat of D.paradoxa.

Darwin is located in the Northern Territory. D. paradoxa occurs in NT and WA. I too am from Australia.

Back