What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.meristocaulis ***is*** a pygmy sundew!

Hello to all,

I just wanted to share with everyone the latest news about D.meristocaulis -- news which will throw open discussions about the spread of CPs and plants in general... I've just received results of DNA sequencing which puts D.meristocaulis NOT as a close relative of pygmy sundews or of the pygmies and petiolaris-complex species. To our total surprise, it appeared AMONG the pygmies, as a full member of subgenus Bryastrum, somewhere between D.scorpioides and D.ericksoniae!!!!!! Needless to say we are aghast with these results and are trying to fathom the depth of what this means...

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

Thats great. Um Fernando will you have the sequences up somewhere. Or rather the DNA spikes up somewhere? So we can all see this.

Eventually... yes.
smile_m_32.gif

Wow! That sort of throws a lot of preconceived notions up in the air!

Fascinating stuff, Fernando. I only wish the few seeds I received had sprouted. I want in on the fun!!!

Capslock

Capslock your not the only one.

Fernando, what criterea do you use in determining whether or not the plants are related by DNA sequence? You just don't line up the entire sequenced genome to determine the homology I'm sure. Just curiuos to see what criterea are used. My point is, I guess, is that different conclusions can be had depending depending on what exactly is sequenced. Seems a little crazy to me to predict these results as Australia and South America have not been in physical contact for eons, certianly long before flowering plants.

I don't intend to get into analysis details just yet, you'll have to wait for the publication! ;) But you're absolutely right: the results are crazy! Trying to explain how the plants reached S.America will be the toughest challenge!

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

VERY interesting... That certainly does open up a lot of debate and speculation.

How many drosera have had DNA sequencing?

I hope to learn more about these.
Waiting more news!!

Sure it's a great data for me!
Thanks shareing!!!

Back