What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No dew

I recently got my first sundew,a D. Aliciae and there isnt any dew on it.I believe it came with dew but Im not sure.Would the rain wash the dew off? If its not because of the rain than why isnt it producing any?

yes rain does wash it off but it always produces more.

let it aclimate. it's not used to it's new conditions.

To supplement what Clint said, often times a sundew loses its dew from being brought home from a garden center or being shipped. As long as the plant hasn't died, new growth will have dew. The existing leaves will likely not produce few again, but new growth determines the fate.

It takes a lot of energy for dew to be produced. Make sure you place your sundew in the correct sunlight it needs. I believe this kind requires partial light/bright shade (someone correct me if I'm wrong) to grow at its best. Give it that, pure water, and time and it will produce dew again just be patient.

Well it originates from South Africa which I assume is pretty sunny there but not sure.Ive been giving it about 6 hours of direct sun and it seems to be doing fine,just no dew yet.

No dew usually just means your sundew isn't getting enough light. Also, like was said above, when a sundew is brought home from a garden center or has been recently shipped to you, it often won't have dew for a few days/weeks while it gets used to your conditions.

Light is certainly the primary factor in good strong growth and dew production, but remember to go slowly with the increase if these plants were "soft" grown as the surely were if they came from a garden center. There are other factors that can affect dew production, like the fungal blight that can the glands especially in closed over humid scenarios. The formula for successful Drosera growing all revolve around good light, pristine growing medium and pure water, good nutrition, adequate humidity along with air circulation, and a 5-10 degree nightime drop in temperature (for all but the tropical species on the last). The more you can provide these conditions, the better they will grow for you.

good news! It just started to produce some dew today.Only like a few of the leaves have it and only a few of the hairs on them too but its a good sign that all is going well. Maybe Ill get a new battery for my camera and take a few pics of it.
smile_n_32.gif

Back