What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field trip report-

Hi,

I drove to a small and somewhat remote lake in the Wallowas based on a 1964 report of that location as a D. anglica site. Sure enough, when I arrived there a bog bordering the lake had a large population of D. anglica in full bloom. As I walked across the mat for the first time, I neared the edge of the bog, where I assumed the lake began. Suddenly, my footing became unsteady and I glimpsed a shear 10 ft. drop at the lake edge. I was standing on a floating sphagnum mat. This was my first trip to a quaking bog.

There were several acres of bog, and D. anglica was present and almost predominant on most of it. One interesting thing was the large number of dragonflies caught on the plants. I had seen captured damselflies in Barry's pictures, and though these were very present here as well, many of the much larger and stronger dragonflies had also been caught.

Anyway, on to the pictures:

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

The thickness of the sphagnum ranged between 30 cm. and 5+ m.

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

beautiful CPs+beautiful camera+beautiful shot+beautiful man
smile_m_32.gif

Only D.anglica discover in here?

awsome!
well, are those sarrs in the third pic?

Noah,
Fantastic photos of a great location. Great job!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Suddenly, my footing became unsteady and I glimpsed a shear 10 ft. drop at the lake edge. I was standing on a floating sphagnum mat. This was my first trip to a quaking bog.
There was a 10ft drop from a quaking bog into the water? (Am I mis-reading this somehow?) Any quaking bog I've been on has been much thinner than that. That's incredible!

Great camera work!

Awsome pictures! Do you mind if I ask what type of camera you took those amazing pictures with?

Interesting. They were visible last night and earlier today but not now....

I guess those who didn't tune in early just have to wonder what they missed...
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif

(they were posted on CPUK but they are dead there also -
confused.gif
)

This may be the issue: Petflytrap hosting (along w/ many other photos on the forums....
smile_h_32.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ July 21 2005,1:56)]This may be the issue: Petflytrap hosting (along w/ many other photos on the forums....
WOW! This is important information and will have a huge effect on countless photos and links in this Forum (not to mention other International Forums).

Ron,

That was indeed the issue! I've re-uploaded the photos to a different site and it should work for you now.

There was indeed a 10ft. drop at the first spot I looked at. Others were far deeper... one that appeared to be at least 40-50 ft. deep (I don't know if the sphagnum reached the bottom there or was floating). There were sphagnum mats that were at least 15 ft. thick, probably thicker. The water was incredibly clear and it was amazing to see the enourmous bulk of centuries worth of sphagnum build-up floating in the water. From under water (the swimmming was excellent
smile_n_32.gif
) The sphagnum looked exactly like light brown ice-bergs.

I used a Sony DSC-S70. There were no Sarracenia on location (that would have been only too surprising! ;) ), only D. anglica and an un-identified Utricularia.

Back