What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spatula

I just bought couple of drosera spatula and I already using a tray method (distilled water).  Can someone please give me some tips and advice on how to grow them.  Can I put it outdoor with direct sunlight and 35 ~ 50% humidity ? Should I cover them with a cup or something to keep the dews?

Hey KayWhy,

Drosera spatulata is a great sundew to observe. Easy to grow as well. You could put them outside in that condition, but you would want to do it gradually and aclimate the plant to the change. This especially holds true if they've been inside under lights, or stuck in a dark box for quite a few days.

Remember, with the tray method the relative humidity at the soil level, and closer to the tray is higher than it is away from the tray, so they should always have a good humidity if they're always sitting in water. Unless of course the wind is really high, or the sun is just that strong that day.

If you do decide to place them outside or in direct sun, don't cover them. It would get way too hot in a short period of time and actually cook your plants. Just try putting them outside, or one if you have multiple, for short periods of time each day, maybe 15 minutes to 30 minutes to start, and gradually increase the time period it is in the sun each day until you can just leave them out there.

Thx for your quick reply Vertigo. At what humidity level is the best for this plant? Can they grow okay with low humidity?

Very much welcome. Being a sundew and all this Drosera definately would prefer a higher humidity, i'd say usually I grew mine at at least a 50-60% relative humidity. If they're in trays it's almost no worry since the ground hugging rosettes will always be near a humid substrate. The key thing when putting them into a spot with a lesser humidity is to attempt to "harden" them off to it. This is just like light, a little at a time.

This also depends on the place where you live while growing them of course. ;) Here in NY I can put that type of Drosera outside in the sun from the end of spring to somewhere in the middle of fall.

35-50% is fine.

D. spatulata is pretty hardy, and it is a weed. Keep it segregated from other CPs, or else cut the flower stalks off early. It flowers prolifically, though, so this would be nearly a daily task.

Mine do very well in normal indoor AC conditions, sitting in a window that gets full morning sun.

My spatula has those flower stalks, but when they open, they look like group of leafs with dews. Is this normal ?

Can someone please post a picture of drosera spatula, i just want to make sure I've got the correct plant lol !

As Sarraceniascott indicated, they do very well on a window sill, open tray. I have a pic, but no time right now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KayWhy @ July 25 2005,6:28)]Can someone please post a picture of drosera spatula, i just want to make sure I've got the correct plant lol !
Bob Z's photo finder will have picts of all Drosera species - enjoy:
Bob Z

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My spatula has those flower stalks, but when they open, they look like group of leafs with dews. Is this normal ?
Its not "normal" but its common...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]False vivipary: some plants will produce mutated flowers. Instead of normal flowers, the plant makes little plantlets on the flower stalk! This is commonly (and erroneously) called vegetative apomixis. The plantlets can be rooted (with care) and make new plants!

Good luck
Steve

Drosera_spatulata.thumb.jpg

Not the best photo, but that was my elcheapo complimentary Earthlink camera.

Back