What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is happening to my dew?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
cp's%20010.jpg

cp's%20009.jpg

It was out in full sun and looked like it was doing fine. I kept water in the tray below it and now it looks like I cooked it. I have since then moved it into the GH where its more shaded. I haven't seen any dew return and looks like even the newly forming leaves are dieing before they finish unfolding. Its planted in straight peat if I remeber correctly. Any ideas?

Hey JB,

Just curious, was it growing out in full sun for awhile already or was this a new addition to the outdoor grow space?

I've actually seen the same thing on a few forms of the forked leaved sundews. Has the sun been stronger or humidity lower as of late?

Sounds like a bit of shock, from a radical enough change in conditions. It may be several days for new growth to appear. When it does, it will have dew.

Well, when I got it it was putting out new leaves and I put it in straight full sun with the rest of the new additions.  It seamed to be doing fine the older leaves dying off like I expected and the new ones coming in fine.  They were even catching bugs and things too.  It must have started when we were getting really hot weather down here.  It has been in the hundreds this week. I have moved it into the GH where its under some shade cloth now.  Hopefully that will help it out.  Can this plant take full sun??  Or should I confinte it to the shaddier GH?
Vertigo yes it has been a little hotter lately in the hundreds with heat indexes in the 115 areas. Its still humid but the heat is just unbareable sometimes.

Sounds like the heat could have done it. The ends of the leaves are a lot thinner that the rest of it, and further away from the substrate so there would generally be less humidity.

It should be fine in a little bit. Sometimes they can take some time to adjust, especially when this sort of thing happens. I had one struggle along for maybe about a month once with the full sun hitting it. darn near thought the thing died until it exploded into much darker growth.

They can definately take full sun from my experience, it's just how strong that sun is on any given day that really makes the difference. On a really really hot day, especially out of nowhere, good chances is you'll usually see at least a little of that.

Agreed. They can take full sun. Mine do, even in this miserable 90+ heat and humidity. But it can take a couple weeks or so for the plant to recover.

One of the beautiful things of the binata complex is those extremely thick roots everywhere. If the plant doesn't make it, chances are a section of root will, and usually by at least the next season you could have multiple plants popping up in the place of the one that didn't make it.

When I was growing a multifida the darn thing seemed to die off a few times, but after each time of dying off or back, I always ended up with more plants than I started with in the same pot.
smile_n_32.gif

Cool cool. I hope there is some good roots grown then. It was just planted a couple of months ago after I recieved it. Luckily just got a leave cutting I am trying to grow too so if this one doesn't make it there is a good chance I have a back up. Thanks everyone.

Is that other plant in the pot a sundew?

nope that be a WEED!! LOL prpbably a clover. It was outside with the other plants and clovers love to spread everywhere. I even have to pull them from my orchid pots. I have a Navel orange tree in a pot I have to take about 10 min every week or so clearing out weeds and grass from the pot. I think the plant is recovering since I moved it into the GH and out of the blazing sun. PLus it has been a little cooler here lately since it has been raining the past few days. Thanks everyone.

Back