What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propigating forked sundews

There was a topic going around a while ago about propigating forked sundews by suspending the leaves in water. I decided to try this method as well as adding b-1 to the water. It worked really well. Withing a few weeks i have several new shoots comming up from the suspended leaves. This is great.

I have a couple of questions. Has anyone tried this method for other kinda of sundews? how about other cps?

Also, not that they are growing well, how do i get them out of the pot. Should i just take the whole leaf and put that on some soil with the new shoots all attached? should i separate them? is there a specific time frame for moving them?

let me know and thanks for the idea

Jeff

It works equally as well for D. filiformis (California Sunset) and I have success with Cephalotus follicularis. VFT's can also be done this way, but I haven't succeeded with my attempts.

I potted my D. dichotoma cuttings up by dividing the rooted cuttings into 1"-2" pieces, leaving clusters of 2-10 little plantlets on each. I rooted mine in peat and live sphagnum, so I was concerned about disturbing the roots, which I couldn't see. I'd try not to cut too close to the new shoots, but that's the only consideration I felt was necessary. They should probably go into soil before the ends of the leaves are drooping into the water, but otherwise I don't think moving them is particularly urgent - I left mine in the 'cloning chamber' (read 'sandwich container and Ziploc bag') for over two months with no trouble, except the sphagnum almost overwhelmed a few plantlets. I finally moved them when they started to get all spindly and stuck to the top of the plastic bag.
Best luck,
~Joe

What I do is bury the entire leaf under a small ammount of soil, leaving only the growth points exposed, but making sure the entire leaf is in contact with the soil. Seems to work well for me.

Good luck
Steve

How diluted should Superthrive be if I use that as a source of B1? Say 1 drop per litre? is that too concentrated?

How diluted should Superthrive be if I use that as a source of B1? Say 1 drop per litre? is that too concentrated?

for mine i use five drops per gallon. I use an eye dropper and put four droppers full of the solution in each asian pitcher plant every other day and one dropper full per plant in a water tray every other day. In my solution for the forked sundews i used four droppers full into the water and added a dropper full every other day.

I dont know if this is too little, but the plants seam to grow ok, so i dont think its too much.

-jeff

I've also found that the flower stems of D.binata (multifida extrema) will produce plantlets; actually, faster-growing than those coming from a leaf.

Cut the flower stem into 1" segments and float in water. I think it was 6-8 weeks later that i noticed some little green knobs on the stems. I put them in wet peat, and the knobs practically exploded into small plants.

I think the plantlets i have growing are in better shape than the parent plant. i went away on vacation since the middle of the week. when i got back i had noticed that the power had gone out, so my lights didnt turn on. I think my forked sundew, already in shock from being transplanted recently, is not doing so hot. The plantlets are growing quite well though. Good thing too.

by the way, i have this pot here of a peat/sand mixture with a layer of live sphagnum growing on top. Should i put the plantlets im growing on that?

Sounds good!

Hey Scott, great advice about D. binata! I'll have to remember that when mine flowers.

Back