What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis

Is it possible to propagate this species through leaf cuttings? If so, would it be better to put the leaves on some media or chuck them into water?

Thanks!

I don't know about leaf cuttings. Mabudon is having his plants flowering. Mine seem to be producing new plants vegetatively, as older ones die out.

yes. i just lay them on LFS.

jimscott- man, since we last "spoke" the flowering has gone all crazy- I have a window near my plants and the wind blows pretty strong.... both my plants are almost 4 inches tall and BOTH have decided to flop over in the least attractive manner, th one with the flowers worse than the non-flowering one....

I am glad someone started this topic, as I was thinking of just trying to get a new colony from cuttings and lopping off the tops of the current ones and rooting them
Is that possible?? like, cutting a good-sized top off and putting the cut part in water???
so far this is may favourite Drosera and I would like to have a little stand of them
biggrin.gif

I started some D. madagascariensis leaf cuttings back on 3/28/05. Within 3 weeks new ones were sprouting up. I floated them in RO water, changing it once a week. They were very close to grow lights (fluorescent). I gently plucked the leaves, and got part of the petiole intact.

best of luck,

Homer

Me too. I've done one leaf cutting, and got one new plant.

Capslock

Sure it's working for leaf cutting and I had try before.
Just put it on the peat .
But take care the temp..
Best temp. is 20-24C. and put it under the soft sunshine.
Temp. over 27C is not working.

Okay... I think the extreme heat is what made mine flop over, it's been well past 30 C for several days over the past couple weeks....
Guess I'll keep propping them up and wait for fall
biggrin.gif

Mine are definitely in that temp range as well. They have a SW exposure, but show no inclination to flower.
confused.gif

i've only gotten mine to flower one. no seed, though.

i dunno what i did.

Back