What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis

byblis liniflora and filifolia, i have always wanted a byblis but i dont know whch to get, i have heard that liniflora lives only one season, what about filifolia?

confused.gif

smile.gif

I have no idea how long filifolia lives for but it's very rare anyway so good luck getting your hands on one. Liniflora lives for one year UNLESS you grow it in a deep pot. If it's in a deep pot it can live longer than 1 year, how much longer than one year? I don't know but they give off tons of seed after one year anyway so you don't have to worry about losing it permanently. I really have NEVER seen a byblis filifolia being sold anywhere. Makes me want to look up some information on it. I'll let you know what I find.

-+EDIT+-

I found a site that shows the seasons of a lot of the CPs known. As for life span, I found that the only byblis plant that IS NOT an annual is byblis gigantea. Byblis gigantea is as easy to grow as liniflora (if not easier) byblis gigantea doesn't mind it's roots being disturbed (unlike liniflora). But the seeds are really hard to germinate. You need a smoke disc and even then I'm not sure if it's easy. I personally have never tried. As for any sites that sell Byblis filifolia, I found a UK site and a Canadian site. Here's the link to the Canadian site. They have some REALLY rare seeds actually. Even Drosophyllum lusitanicum. Here's the link. http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/Graines....ds.html
Also, here's the link to the site with all the CP grow seasons.
http://www.cephalotus.net/cpwa_seasons.html

-(Kyle)-

If youre starting out, get liniflora, as all other Byblis are quite hard and get big(the size of a small-medium size bush)
No, liniflora doesnt live ONE season, but it is an annual, so it will die after a year
However, it will set hundreds of seeds before it dies, so collect the seed and re-sow in spring
smile_m_32.gif

No byblis , or ANY other plant is hard to grow if you give it proper conditions.

Yeah but sometimes it's hard to provide the proper conditions. I know that from experience. x.x

oh of course. thats why i don't grow highlanders
smile.gif

well not many atleast.

From what I have heard, B.filifolia can live for many years under the right conditions.

I think as long as you grow it in the correct conditions and with a deep pot it will grow for as long as you want it to grow. I should see how long I can keep mine alive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 07 2005,4:01)]No byblis , or ANY other plant is hard to grow if you give it proper conditions.
funny, I could have sworn you asked which pygmy sundews are easy to grow in another thread

i did. and what is your point? certain Pygmy Drosera are more suited to a beginner than others. adaptability comes into question with this subject.

i said no plant was hard to grow under proper conditions. i didn't say that some plants were easier to grow (easier to provide conditions for) than others.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 08 2005,6:27)]i did. and what is your point? certain Pygmy Drosera are more suited to a beginner than others. adaptability comes into question with this subject.

i said no plant was hard to grow under proper conditions. i didn't say that some plants were easier to grow (easier to provide conditions for) than others.
No its not, look at D.capensis and N.rajah grow compared to each other
They both obviously need different types of care and attention
And what about those plants which you provide the perfect conditions and they still die?

Anyway why did you post that? All youre doing is confusing the person who first asked the question

under proper conditions, both of the above plants are easy to grow.
i've never had a plant die in perfect conditions.

i posted as a reply to you.

ok i think both of you are right, you just are rewording the things the other has said, some plants realy adaptable thus one considers them easy to grow because there growing conditions are variable and the plant survives under almost any condition, but a plant like triphyophyllum peltatum is considered extremely difficult to grow because its growing condition are hard to provide and the plant does not forgive one for the failure, but if they could be provided and kept constent the plant will live and thrive but it can still die of infection of any disease or pests.

you both are helpfull thank you
happy growing to all
smile.gif

Back