What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.adelae

Cindy

Staff member
Hi, I need expert input on D.adelae.
smile.gif

1. Leaf cutting - how big before you can get it produce plantlets? I am assuming if the leaf is too small, cuttings may not work.

2. Roots - Are they long? And do they mind being waterlogged the whole time? I have a 2-inch plant in a undrained container and I am wondering whether I should repot or not. I read that D.adelae is sensitive to repotting.

3. Medium - what the most airy mix you've got? I nearly killed one because of root rot.

Thanks!

I know for a fact that small leaf cuttings work on adelae as I used a leaf 1/8th of an inch long and it produced 1 plant. The smaller the leaf cutting the fewer plants it will produce, but leaf cuttings still work. Pure lfs works great for D.adelae.
dewy

Greetings,

I'm not an expert, but so far I've had good luck with D. adelae.  I grow mine in a 1:1 mix of LFS and perlite.  I top water the plant once a week.  I grow mine in a 6" pot.  If given the room, they form very long roots.  If the pot is wide, the roots will grow horizontally and eventually produce
new plants.  Mine was initially in a 4" pot filled with peat:perlite.  I didn't like it so I transplanted it right away.  The plant was set back a little and the new leaves were smaller, but it eventually flowered and produced many new sprouts.  

Brian

As Brian said, I am no expert. Mine are in a mix of sand & peat, with LFS on top, open tray, sitting at a SE window sill. I water 3X per week, which means they will, at times, be sitting in water. I have never tried to do leaf cuttings, per se, but they form plantlets and perpetuate themselves nicely - just like a P. primulifora. Only one plant had done the "playing 'possum" thing. I have never had one flower, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Leaf cutting - how big before you can get it produce plantlets? I am assuming if the leaf is too small, cuttings may not work.

Never tried leaf cuttings with this species. They reproduce in my collection via roots

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Roots - Are they long? And do they mind being waterlogged the whole time?

Yes, they are very long, and they don't need to be waterlogged.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I read that D.adelae is sensitive to repotting.

Yes, they are VERY sensitive to repotting. They may appear to be dead for awhile (same regarding D. prolifera as well), but come back over time (weeks and weeks...). Patience is key.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. Medium - what the most airy mix you've got?

Equal parts peatmoss and silica sand. Regarding root rot, I recommend letting the water tray dry out a day or so before adding more water to avoid this.

hope this helps,

Homer

Back