What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera whittakeri in flower (pics)

JanW

drosera guy
I took those pictures some time ago:

d-whittakeri-whittakeri30.jpg

d-whittakeri-whittakeri29.jpg

Cheers,
Jan

Fantastic plant! Thanks for posting the pics. This is a plant I'm not familiar with, and it's beautiful!

Capslock

There is more of this beauty, join the (dark) Drosera side now! ;)

I've never even heard of this Drosera, and I call myself a huge Sundew fan! Bah!

Very cool plant nonetheless. Is it a tropical Drosera? (i.e. no dormancy-which is what I look for!)

It's a tuberous Drosera that occurs in eastern Australia. I am lucky to have them growing very close to my house.

Hi LLeopardGGecko,

no those plants aren't easy to look after. If you sometime want to try some tuberous species better start with a D. peltata / D. auriculata or D. menziesii. Those are the easier species. All those little buggers need lots of light and their dormancy is tricky. I would say that I am slowly becoming a amateur in growing them, far away from being experienced and no way to be an expert.

Jan

Great pics, Jan! Can I borrow your camera?! Just kidding of course!

Hi Jim,

in fact my camera is rather old and not very professional. It is a Nikon Coolpix 2500 for which I paid 200 Euros back then. Today you would get a much better camera for around 150 Euros (Nikon Coolpix 4600). My model has only 2 megapixels (which is enough for web and small prints, not for posters!). Now you would get 4 megapixels in this price class. I can recommend Nikon to all plant growers because the cameras have good macro modes. Such shots as above are only possible with good natural light. On dull days all macro mode photos look very bad. But for 150 Euros... ;)

Jan

All I ever had was a horrible complimentary camera from Earthlink - and it died. I have to depend upon the graces of a couple of co-workers and Elgecko! LOL! I requested one for Christmas and got Savage Garden instead. Maybe next year....

Jan, what kind of moss do you have growing in the bottom of that pot?

That moss? No idea, I just removed it last time I repotted those plants. It was a very very thin layer of fuzzy stuff.

Cheers,
Jan

Back