What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bah! caterpillar gets away!

I just tried to feed my Cape Sundews a little green caterpillar and both times I tried, it managed to force its way through the goo! It always ticks me off when bugs get away, because they leave the leaf all nasty looking...

...I got fed up and fed it to a fast-moving Venus Flytrap. That'll teach em'
smilie4.gif

are you sure? lol... I once fed a caterpillar to my VFT and it just ate it's way out
LOL

nowdays I raise caterpillars
smile.gif
... except for pests like armyworms... but right now I have three yellow striped oakworms and three eastern tiger swallowtail caterpillars.
I've raised others too though.

Really? That's pretty sweet. How long have you raised them? Also, where do you buy them?

Perhaps I'll start raising them for plant foo....uh...I mean fun....yeah, that's it...fun
smile_m_32.gif

I raise them on and off... I first started when I was like 7 or something.
I don't buy them, I look for them or people send me eggs.
I got the swallowtail eggs because I was out in my balcony and I saw a female swallowtail flying weird around a cherry tree so I go down and I find 3 eggs freshly layed!

Very cool. I just might check into that someday. But for now it's just CPs!

they're not that hard to take care of (you just have to dump out the frass and give them fresh food every day), you can release them any time you want, and they take a short time to become adults (well, some of them anyway. cecropias take almost a whole year).
And it's very interesting seeing how they develop... many change colors as they molt in the caterpillar stage, and obviously they completely change as they become adults.
cecropia development... it sure changes

Back