What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How reproduce

hi i have some drosera sphatulata, and i wanna have more!!, what i need to do?, see ya!

You could wait till it flowers. Which shouldn't be very long if you drosera is in good conditions. Mine flower like mad and produce thousands of seeds. Plus they seem to self pollinate.

You could also do leaf cuttings. But I've never had luck with those, so I wouldn't be the person to ask on how to go about doing it.

just forget about them and they will reproduce themselves.

As Clint says, they reproduce themselves. Trust me, between D. capensis, D, spatulata, and U. subulata,...

Seriously, they also reproduce vegetatively, like grass or iris. Below is a picture of several pots of D. spatulata. Except for the two on the right, the other 6 were the result of a few months of removing a few plantlets from the perimeter of the original clump. They're like Guppies!

120_G.thumb.jpg

Good lord, my D. spatulatas are CONSTANTLY sending up flower stalks. I mean, ALL the time! Plus like Jim said, they also love to form clumps of themselves, so between that and the constant flowering/seed release, D. spatulata is never in short supply
smile_n_32.gif

Quick question about flowering though: I have several D. spatulata in Classic terrariums (I call them my minibogs because they're in 2.5 gallon tanks) and they're all flowering right now. Once they self-pollinate, can I just leave the stalks and pods alone and expect them to just fall to the soil on their own and sow themselves? Or should I cut off the stalks and shake the seed loose? Keep in mind that I eventually want a whole carpet of them
smile.gif

Easier to chop them and shake the seeds, otherwise you may end up with a lot of seeds falling on the plants. I planted an 8" pot full of seeds and spread them out good, and about 6 months later you could no longer see the growing medium.
Windplant- just be patient, as long as the thing is growing, you will have more of them soon, likely from a combination of the above methods (and when you get seeds you will be able to have as many as you could ever want)

Cool tks, i leave them alone ;), and i tell us whats up later, hey mine have a large green tube, but i dont c she make some flowers, is just green w noting up!, is it normal?, what kind of light us use?. tks to all.

You mean there's a flower stalk but no flowers? Perhaps the flowers just haven't opened yet. Wait and see!

Ok, the flower stalk look so dark im not sure what happend but i see whats up later il wait and see
smile_n_32.gif
(that face look so funny), hehe =).

Another possibility is that since the flowers open for a short time (mid-morning) it is easy to miss.

ah so sad =(
smile_h_32.gif
, but if she reproduce alone i m going to have more, before she die riaght?, im scared cuz i hear droseras live only like 4 years!, thats to litle, =(. is that true?

Trust me, in another year, you will be giving them away to friends, neighbors, and newbies! And you will have plenty left over!

That sound great
smile_n_32.gif
, i will help any new ppl,
smile_m_32.gif
tks to us.

Back