What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland tropical sundews

Hi Every one. I have a Lowland nepenthes tropical terrarium . I am tring to figure out what would be if there are any sundews that could grow in this conditions of a lowland terrarium year long with medium light level like light levels for the lowland nepenthes of deep in the rain forest like N.ampullaria. But they dont have to get waterd all year long. Generally the temp never goes below 70 and the humidity is allways above 80%.

Thanks very much

Yoav

with medium light? the queensland sisters might do well but d. schizandra might have problems with the high heat.

Yeah JustLikeAPill, I would have said D. adelae or one of the sisters.

What would be wrong with... Capensis...
It should be bright enough... And with it's arms up in the air, it will catch alot of gnats, assuming they breed in there.

I know it's a lil boring...

it will be week in medium light, aswell as most other drosera.

i like plants drooping with dew, not little specks.

Thanks for the replys, Isnt there any South american Drosera that grows in such conditions?

Thanks again .
Yoav

Or isnt there any of the Petiolaris complex sundews that would fit this conditions?

D. paradoxa like hot and humid.

but the light issue...

D. adelae, likes less light.

Soth American Drosera would not like these conditions at all, preferring cooler conditions, good light and air circulation. A night time drop in temperature is almost essential, although the daytime temps. are not so critical, provided the roots don't overheat.

Almost ALL Drosera prefer cool roots, much light and air circulation to be at their best, although undoubtably many will hang on in the stated conditions. Petiolaris Drosera do appreciate an overall even warmth, but they are some of the most light hungry Drosera which would probably exclude them from your terraria.

I have had D. spatulata grow in the most light starved conditions imaginable, although the form and color is atypical. The Queensland sundews would probably do ok, as well as many other semitropical species, but they will be somewhat atypical: pale and etiolated to greater or lesser degree.

Back