What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regia

I got a D. regia a while ago, and it seems pretty healthy. It's leaves aren't quite as long as it was when I first got it, but they are getting back there. The other day, I noticed another plantlet shooting up out of the long fibered sphagnum! This is the first regia I have ever had, so I'm happy it's doing well! Thanks to everyone who gave me tips when I was getting it!
smile.gif

Congratulations, Joel!

i feel great for you, congrats!! i have heard that i you pluck or pull off the main growing piont i will grow off shoots, the result is a bushy and dewy plant, well good luck

Hi Guys,

i just got 2 D. regias... 1 apparently look really dead... But i just lay the roots horizontally in the soil, hoping something will sprout in a few weeks time.

I have another plant, looks not too bad, however when it arrived here... the leaves were bruised and rotting, i snipped off all the rotting leaves leaving 2 mature leaves available and there's another leave which is a growing leave. It looks pretty bad in shape. Anyone can advice me what to do?

Oh yeah, i live in Singapore, a hot tropical climate. Currently, i'm placing a plastic transparent dome over the pot, in my air-conditioned room. I've sprinkled very dilute fish emulsion and sprayed some light fungicide on the plant. The plant is now under some weak light in my room. Any other tips on the "dos and don'ts" of the plant and how to do "CPR" to revive the plant?

I do believe the roots should be set vertically in order to strike roots, or so 'tis said - I have had little experience with this but you might want to ask about.

Clayton, what media are your plants in? Mine are growing in pure chopped long fibered sphagnum and seems to be pretty happy there.

i'm currently using 1 part perlite to 1 part peat moss... and i'm putting a dome over the plant... would it be too humid for the plant?

It may be too humid for it. Humidity is often looked at as such an important factor for growth, when most of the time it really isn't an issue. If you are using the tray method for watering, that is plenty of humidity right there.

Probably the biggest factor for growth is light. Mine sits in the windowsill where it gets plenty of light. If you haven't been giving it direct sunlight and you are going to start, you have to slowly let it adapt to it. Don't just put it in the direct sun right away and leave it. You have to start it off slow. Give it a half hour of sun one day, an hour the next day, and so on.

I think I have read of some who don't give the regia direct sunlight, but bright shade and that has worked well for them.

Best of luck.

hello

thanks for the advice... Well, is D. regia a slow grower in nature? Mine seem to be growing... but very very very slowly... in fact i could see the 2nd new leave growing, but it seem to grow very slowly in size... almost looks like the leaves are not unfolding... i occasionally "feel" the plant to ensure there is no rotting taking place.

What conditions did u give to your plant when u first got it to adapt and grow?

Hey,
Has anyone had any luck growing these in terrariums under grow lights? I have three 40 watt bulbs over a 20L tank. The back of the tank is left open to a window where three or four hours of direct sun comes in (but doesnt directly hit the regia). Humidty 40-60% temperature 60 at night 80 day.

Let me know
jeff

Oh yeah, and i have a fan outside the tank circulating the air.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captotterboy @ Sep. 06 2005,9:02)]Hey,
Has anyone had any luck growing these in terrariums under grow lights?  I have three 40 watt bulbs over a 20L tank.  The back of the tank is left open to a window where three or four hours of direct sun comes in (but doesnt directly hit the regia).  Humidty 40-60% temperature 60 at night 80 day.

Let me know
jeff
I have, years ago. And I also propagated them with root cuttings horizontally(just barely covered).
My plant was from seed, and oddly, they all turned brown and died about two years later(they were in two different locations{houses} so it was not a pathogen of some kind) . They go dormant in Nature, but I did not know that at the time. I suspect they would have liked to have done so.

Cheers,

Joe

When I first got the plant, I put it in a place where it could recover from shipping, in bright light but no direct sunlight. I transplanted it into an 11 inch pot of pure chopped long fibered sphagnum. I left it in bright light for a week or two and slowly hardened it off to sunlight. Since the sun hasn't been shining in my windows for the summer, it has been in bright shade once again but still growing fairly well. Now the sun is hitting it again, and it seems to be really taking off with growth. It has put out about 5 new leaves in the last couple of weeks, along with the new plantlet.

Back