What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing sundews from seed

I have close to a billion (not quite that number, but you get the point) seeds sown in two of my small terrariums, or rather my minibogs as I call them. These species include:

-D. capensis
-D. burmannii
-D. binata
-D. aliciae
-D. venusta

Does anyone have any experience with growing these plants from seed? I just want to know how long it takes them to mature, because I've heard many different things from many different people.

Please forgive the weird thing going on with the italics code. Something is screwy with the server apparently.

I also wanted to add that I also have D. spatulata seed sown as well.

D.capensis will probably take 5-6 months.
D.burmannii is an annual, so i'm guessing not that long.
D.spatulata also proably a few months.
The rest, I don't know :p, but my guess is less than a year.

D. burmanni tends to be an annual. I think you will find that with the rest that it will be about a year from germination to producing flowers the following year. At least that has been myexperience with D. capensis. D. venusta, I think is similar to or confused with D. cocchiacaulis and from seed to producing flowers also took a year. I had a stray D. binata seed germinate in a Nep pot this January and it it wasn't anything close in size to the young plant received last year, that is now huge and producing flowers. So I think a year is what it needs. They also do very well as leaf cuttings. D. aliciae has not flowered for me, nor have I started from seeds. I obtained seedlings last year and it "clumps". I have had D. spatulata flower and drop seed last year, producing flowers this year, from las year's scattering. Basically, it takes about for 4 seasons with all but the D. burmanni.

Thanks for the info guys.

So for D. burmanni I'm looking at what, a few months before it matures?

Drosera aliciae took well over a year to reach flowering size in my conditions.

Back