What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Several random questions

1) Does D. madagascarensis go dormant or does it behave like a tropical sundew with no dormancy? Also, what is the common, non-scientific name for this plant?

2) What is the common name for D. scorpiodes? I've always wondered this and have never found an answer.

1) I grew mine as germinated seeds last year and when winter came, the 3 plants that came to be - died. Right mext to them were 3 more plants. I now have 5 or 6 plants. Nothing has flowered or germinated. Vegetative propogation? I don't know the common name, but the seeds were marked, D. madagascariensis (Botswanna)

2) I have D. scorpiodes referred to as, "Carpet of Death".

So Botswanna Sundew and Carpet of Death Sundew? I'm really liking the Carpet of Death
cool.gif

Scorpion Sundew. Sorry to burst the bubble.

D. madagascariensis sometimes goes dormant. When it does, do nothing and growth will resume at the base. This happens mostly in times of heat and/or stress with growth returning once the day/night differential increases.

Scorpion Sundew is just as cool!

So as long as I keep my Botswana Sundew free from heat or stress, it won't go dormant?

D. madagascariensis will also go dormant if the temps drop too low in winter. Why would you call a sundew named after the country of Madagascar the Botswana sundew? Common names are pointless anyway IMO.

Why would you call a sundew named after the country of Madagascar the Botswana sundew? Common names are pointless anyway IMO.

I would call it that because Jim said he saw it marked that way. And I don't think common names are pointless. Sometimes when talking to people who know NOTHING about CPs I don't want to sound like a complete dork
biggrin.gif

Fair enough if that's the way you like it
smile.gif

Jim's plants were labelled as D. madagascariensis(Botswana) because they are the form from Botswana. The species occurs in other countries such as South Africa & Madagascar (of course) also. To call it the Botswana sundew isn't really an accurate common description of the species.

It is probably worth noting that most species of Drosera do not have common names for example most of the South American and pygmy Drosera.

Thanks for clearing that up Sean.

You also make a good point about the common names. Only a few sundews have common names, while the rest you only see talked about using their scientific names. I guess I'll have to keep sounding like a dork
cool.gif

From another perspective, I used to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the salt section. I ordered the fish and it was very important to know the scientific names. Why? In one instance, there was an angel (Centropyge tibicen) that had 4 "common name" for it. The best way of avoiding confusion was to use the scientific nomenclature.

Errrr, actually Sean most of the pygmy and tuberous Drosera from Australia DO have common names. Most are listed in Erickson's "Plants of Prey in Western Australia". I favor the preservation of those names since it seems a shame that they would have been used so long by many and then forgotten. For those wishing to be scientific the binomials are more communicative with less chances of confusion, but it's still fun to see "Modest Rainbow" (D. modesta) or "Shining Sundew" (D. nitidula) occasionaly bandied about.

Back