What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pics to share - d.adelae meal

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
Day 1
adelae_prey1.jpg

adelae_prey2.jpg

Day 2
adelae_prey3.jpg

adelae_prey4.jpg

I thought D. adelae didn't move its leaves, only its tentacles!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

At least mine have only moved their tentacles...
smile_h_32.gif

I didn't know that too. It happened so SNAP!
smile.gif
Now I'm tempted to feed my D.adelae...LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Sep. 09 2005,5:58)]Now I'm tempted to feed my D.adelae...LOL
One of your students? A school administrator? A husband? Jason Wong?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 09 2005,8:00)]
[b said:
smile_m_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Yes...Yes...No...Why, Jason Wong??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh, he just came to mind, as a quick Singaporean and student.  
biggrin.gif
I couldn't think of the others or spell them correctly!

nice pic!!! reminds of of D regia!! haha... my dream plant!

Uhm, are you sure that's a D. adelae? Mine have never moved at all, and the leaves in the photo seem narrow for the length of the tentacles and size of the catch (at least compared to mine)... Just an ignorant question, from someone looking at her own gnat-covered adelae wondering if they ought to be moving...

D. adelae tends to put out narrower leaves when it's in really bright light. It also gets that red/brownish color, which is pretty cool. When it's in less intense light, the plant stays a lighter green and has wider leaves. Just food for thought...I still want a mutant Lance Leaf Sundew that moves to capture its prey
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Wow, they do? When I turn up the light on mine, they just burn and the leaves brown and die. Mine are under moderately bright light, and stay about 4". I had one get to 7" across in weaker light, but the over-large leaves died off when the light was increased, and it is now a steady 4" around like my others. All maintain a nice healthy light green color, with bright red tentacles.

The pictured one is totally unlike mine, perhaps if this is a mutant, but still shows the typical D. adelae propensity for large numbers of plantlets, the plantlets will share the parent plant's mutation and we can eventually all get some mutant moving sundew action!

Interesting...All the Lance Leafs I have under bright light attain the deep red color and narrower leaves. No burnt leaves here. Perhaps you're keeping them too close to the light source?

It is definitely a D.adelae. D.regia doesn't grow here in Singapore.
smile_h_32.gif

Anyway, I'll try feeding it and see if it moves again. Maybe it's because the plant is still young. Only 4 inches across.

It grows under florescent lights, just an inch away from the end of the tallest leaf. No burns, but then I'm only using 3-foot lamps.

It's the only leaf to curl so far...

Oh I was referring to Anoxos about the burns.

I think you may be right about the plant being young. I read in The Savage Garden that young D. regia curl dramatically over their victims while older plants only the tentacles move. Perhaps it's the same with D. adelae.

I guess that's possible. I have 4' bulbs and when I placed my plants about 3" away from the bulbs, they browned. But maybe I put them too close.

None of mine are particularly old. Bought the first in May and all my other 5 are plantlets produced by that one. It reached 7" across before it started to died back, and its oldest plantlet reached 4" before it began to brown. The others aren't quite that big yet, and I've not placed them that close to the lights, so I don't know.

I think the oldest one is trying to play possum right now, it keeps dying back, faster than new leaves are forming, and it has some small reddish curled leaves in the center that aren't developing (maybe forming a gemmae??)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 09 2005,7:00)]
[b said:
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I could not wonder why you want to impose another threat to its health, on top of D. adelae dying and returning every 2 months aside...
smile_m_32.gif

Anoxos, D. adelae has a tendency to spontaneously brown off like that. It's fairly normal. In my experience, it has nothing to do with light, water, food, or illness.

Sam

Back