What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this picture?

I have been growing this D capensis for about a year now.  I started it from seed.  The only problem is that if you look at the pictures, you can see that there is a lot of dead growth below the sundew.  Is this normal?  I have seen lots of pictures of these and none of them look like this.  It is being grown in my terrarium with with about 70% humidity and is about 78ºF.  It gets about 18 hours of light.  The other plants in the terrarium are doing really well except for this and D capensis 'green' and my D capensis 'red'.  Anyone got any insight as to what may be wrong?  Thanks.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph.....src=ph

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph.....src=ph

18 hours. How many watts?
Looks like it's reaching for the light, caused by not enough light.

It is about 5" from 2 20watt lights.

I'm not the most experienced grower, but I'd agree that 2-20 watt bulbs seems like not enough. The overall color and disposition of all my plants improved dramatically when I augmented my two 15 watt grow bulbs with an additional pair of 20 watt daylight bulbs. The four bulbs together seem to generate enough light for most of my plants now.

it does appear to be reaching for light. but as to your original question yes the dead and dries leaves below are normal so long as the new growth is at approximatly the same rate as what dies. my 2+ year old D. capensis are on 3 or 4 inch stalks now

Well, I am building a new housing for my terrarium and the new lid will house 3 - 25watt compact fluorescent bulbs so hopefully it will help out. It is only a small terrarium (10g) so it is hard to fit a lot of bulbs above it. I want to get a 50watt compact bulb but they are pretty expensive still. Thank you for the info, it makes feel a bit better now know that the dead growth below is normal and that I should increase the light to yield faster growth. It is growing at a good rate but it would be nice to see it grow faster.

Cheers,
Ravn

2 20W bulbs isn't nearly enough. I use 2 85W CFL bulbs over my terrarium. Mine is way bigger, but still, you should be using 42W bulbs at the very least.

Sam

Back