What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for all you utris and genlisea growers

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
How would you suggest going about removing liverwort from pots? The dang stuff is starting to swamp out my G. pygmaea and is making an apperance in a couple other places and I don't like it!

Pyro

The only way I was ever able to get rid of it (at least temporarily) was to completely dump the pots, wash off the dirt and start fresh with new pots and media.

There has to be a better way I just do not know it.

Cheers

You will probably just have to learn to live with it. You can keep it under control with tweezers, and it isn't that hard to keep under control.

I think it likes the warmer weather down here, I have tweezed 4 times in 3 months and the stuff keeps swarming back. It is also a real pain because when I do tweeze I inevitably get some of the Genlisea leaves to and I am afraid that I am, bit by bit, ripping it to pieces. I may need to dig my loop out from the box in the closet

I don't know then. Most of mine seems to have just gone away. You could try just scraping off the top layer of soil and replacing it.

I think I would do as Tim suggests, but rather than scrape I would just wash the top inch away with a stream of water while trying to keep the rosette stable so as not to rip it from the remaining substrate. This is going to expose the traps. I would then refill the top inch with a peat muck to the previous level. Hopefully this will get any spores as well. This is assuming you have it in a peat based substrate.

I do have a peat base but it is top dressed with sphag so that kind make a scrape and dump more difficult. I broke out my loop and plucked every sign of it free, hopefully this time it will be a while before it comes back.

Back